Sunday, January 20, 2013

Chicken Casserole with Lemon, Garlic and White Wine.


I simply love this casserole, it's SO easy and SO delicious. The chicken is succulent, the sauce delicious and EVERYONE loves it. By everyone, I mean even the picky eater eats this up!  All you have to do is sprinkle it with spices, olive oil and lemon juice, put it in the oven and relax in front of the TV for an hour while it cooks. Honestly, what more could you ask for?







Chicken Casserole with Lemon, Garlic and White Wine.

1 large or 2 small chickens, cut up into 8 pieces.
Olive oil
3 lemons, quartered
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cloves of garlic
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped into quarters
2 cups white wine
fresh parsley
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour

Heat the oven to 425 F

Rub the chicken pieces with cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.

Refrigerate for a couple of hours if possible. Overnight is fine too if you're that organized!

Place the chicken in a baking dish, add chopped up onions, garlic cloves and lemon quarters, drizzle over olive oil.

Pour over the wine and sprinkle over the fresh parsley and a touch more salt and freshly ground black pepper.




Place into the oven and roast for about 50 minutes to an hour or until the chicken is beautifully browned.

Remove the chicken from the baking tray to a warm platter, cover with aluminum foil.

Mix the butter with the flour.  Add one tablespoon of the chicken juices from the baking tray to the flour and butter mixture and thoroughly combine.  Add the mixture back to the baking tray and chicken juices, bring to a simmer and stir until you have a thick sauce.  Pour over the chicken.

Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve - even to your pickiest eater.





















29 comments:

  1. That looks really good. I will try that next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so easy and looks so good. I love the cinnamon and the cumin in this recipe, I am sure they give the chicken a great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good that I put a link to it on my own blog.
    jameswalshblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the marriage of chicken with lemon, they seem to fit together so well. Those added spices must be a lovely addition too. I love the fact that it's oven-roasted and looks after itself while the cook does something else!
    By the way, how is your foot now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks succulent and juicy, Mary. Perfect for those long, cold nights:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very delicious chicken dish. Love the combination, look so good.

    Have a nice week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the title of this dish and my mouth started watering. I love the look and sound of this casserole - have bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, that looks fabulous! I always love a chicken casserole. We eat a LOT of chicken in our house! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even with a bum foot you're still kicking some butt in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! Looks so delicious! This sounds easy! My family would love this! Bookmarked! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks and sounds perfectly delicious! And easy to boot. Nice Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks SOOOO delicious, Mary! We would gobble that up, for sure!

    Wishing you a wonderful day, my friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm this sounds heavenly, Mary! I can almost smell it cooking. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Love that unusual but delicious combination of spices and that this is so simple to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the spices you added Mary! Just the thing I like to make for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The simplicity and comfort of a great chicken dish is mandatory. This looks like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great dish to me. Love the simplicity and garlic/lemon are fantastic with anything - especially chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pics are really inviting. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just put it in the oven!! First time cooking with wine, and it looked gorgeous in my new Dutch oven!! Perfect anniversary dinner :) Cant wait to taste it!!
    ~April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best. Chicken. Ever. Made it last night and posted it this morning!! Thank you SO MUCH!!
      http://dimplesanddelights.blogspot.com/2013/01/chicken-casserole-with-lemon-garlic-and.html

      Delete
  20. Hi Mary! Wow, your chicken dish looks amazing and you did such a beautiful job with the photos. I love that you took a photo of the whole pan of chicken, perfect! I can't believe how easy this dish is to throw together. What a great and easy weeknight meal! Bookmarked!
    xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Who wouldn't love an easy delicious dish like this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks and sounds absolutely lovely, Mary! And I love the simplicity... can't beat getting something so elegant so easily!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. its like I can actually smell this cooking in your kitchen! It looks amazing- drool worthy in fact. Nothing beats a good perfectly cooked and moist chicken

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yummy this sounds and looks so tasty. I'm saving this recipe for sure. I'm always looking for a new way to cook chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those spices put a unique twist on roast chicken . . . I'm ready for it. Tonight? I'm pretty sure I have everything on hand; and it's perfect for this temperature. WOuld you believe we had 1 F. this morning?

    ReplyDelete
  26. The picture and description makes anyone instantly hungry :)

    Have a lovely week!
    Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You just shot an arrow through my lemony-chicken-loving heart. It's freezing here right now and this would warm up body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simply mouthwatering.. Love the way you have prepared it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!