Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chocolate, Chocolate, Banana Bread and a Bouquet


A beautiful bouquet of whites. yellows and greens.



A slice of banana bread full of chocolate loveliness.


I was sent this treat of a bouquet, full of pretty uplifting colors guaranteed to lift one out of any winter blues.  

Even though this banana bread is baked in a loaf pan it really is more of a cake than a bread.  Then there's the chocolate - two additions, cocoa and chips, making it the perfect pick me up in the afternoon with a cup of tea rather than a hearty breakfast loaf.  As always with banana bread it's wonderful the next day. This was a hit with the girls, even the ones who don't like bananas!





Chocolate, Chocolate, Banana Bread.

1 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 eggs
3 ripe bananas, cut into chunks
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup of sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup of chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 F

Butter and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.

In a bowl measure the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Mix to combine.

In a measuring jug combine the sour cream and vanilla extract.

Add half the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and combine.

Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and gently mix.

Add the remaining flour mixture and stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and place in the oven for  approximately 50 minutes.  Start checking after 40 minutes, the loaf should have risen and a toothpick should come out clean.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan.

Remove from pan and allow to cool thoroughly on a baking rack before serving.



A last glimpse of the flowers.

25 comments:

  1. What gorgeous flowers! :)
    And that's a pretty darn nice looking banana bread too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate banana bread. This loaf looks amazing and perfect with a cup of tea ! The flower combination in the bouquet is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are just beautiful! I haven't tried chocolate banana bread but I would like to - just send some over please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds lovely an the flowers are beutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your flowers are beautiful! I love banana cake more than the bread I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous flowers, especially that perfect cream rose!
    That banana bread looks really delicious. I've never tried one with chocolate in before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lately I´m thinking chocolate goes with everything! This is a perfect example. Gorgeous bread and beautiful white roses (my favorite)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For my wedding, I just had white flowers and greenery. Love your flowers!
    Love the banana bread, too, especially as I look over at my overripe bananas on the counter. My boys only like banana baked things IF there is chocolate in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful bouquet! You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. all is beautiful the bouquet, just lovely and the banana bread:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This bread does sound quite good and I must say that I really like the bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous bouquet! And your banana bread looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love banana bread and with chocolate even better :) The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bouquet looks so beautiful and the bread so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, that bouquet looks beautiful :)

    Banana bread is one of my favourites, it was just yesterday I was sat with a big loaf of banana screen and butter!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can never have too many recipes for banana bread in my opinion. This is another great one to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous bouquet and a delicious cake! Makes a perfect and beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just drooling over the pics ...looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mary, those flowers are gorgeous but so is the banana bread, I'm not sure which I like better or which I'd choose if I had to make a choice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bread and the bouquet are both gorgeous looking! Happy weekend, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those sure are pretty flowers. What a treat!

    I love pairing chocolate with bananas. That loaf looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary, lovely bouquet of flowers and lovely recipe - your Chocolate, Chocolate Banana Bread recipe sounds just perfect for my family - they would adore this! I really like the addition of chocolate because the combination of bananas and chocolate is pretty hard to beat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never had chocolate banana bread but it sounds dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooh, chocolate in banana bread. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have three ripe bananas staring at me right now! Looks delicious. Your flowers are beautiful--nothing better to brighten a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!