Friday, January 4, 2013

Heavenly Chocolate Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting.

I made a tiramisu for New Year's Eve (that sadly I did not get to photograph) and fell head over heels with mascarpone cheese.  I'm already in love with chocolate and as they're such a perfect match it seemed only right to make a batch of cupcakes combining both.  After YEARS of experimenting I'm now pretty convinced that buttermilk is the perfect addition for baked goods, it seems to produce a more tender sponge than plain milk or sour cream in my opinion.  Don't you agree?

Chocolate Cupcakes.

1 1/2 sticks of room temperature unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup of buttermilk
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 350 F

Line a cupcake tray with paper liners.

Cream the butter and the sugar until really light and fluffy.  No sense in rushing this, the lighter the consistency the the lighter the sponge when baked.

Add the eggs, one at a time scraping down the bowl after each addition.  Again you cannot over beat at this stage.

Mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt in a bowl.  Combine the buttermilk and vanilla extract in a measuring jug.

Add half the flour mixture to the butter, sugar and eggs and gently combine, add the buttermilk and vanilla, gently combine ending with the rest of the flour mixture.  This is where you must be careful you don't over mix.  Gently combine with a spatula.

Fill the cupcake liners three quarters full.  Place in the oven and bake for approximately 18 minutes or until the the sponge bounces back when lightly pressed.

Remove from the oven and cool in the trays for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the tray to a baking rack and cool thoroughly.

Mascarpone Frosting.

4 oz mascarpone cheese (room temperature)
4 oz unsalted butter (room temperature)
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 cups of confectioner's sugar
Dash of milk

Mix all the ingredients except the milk in the bowl of a mixer and beat until creamy.  If the frosting is too thick add a dash of milk, if it seems a little thin add a little more confectioner's sugar. 

Frost the cupcakes, sprinkle a little grated chocolate over the top if desired.


25 comments:

  1. These DO look heavenly! Mascarpone cheese is such a fabulous ingredient for baking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never made mascarpone frosting, but just the thought of it, along with the photos.... double yum!

    It's a pity buttermilk is so hard to find in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just imagine how good these taste! Heavenly for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful, and I bet they are tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in thrall to these cupcakes. I am in awe that the comments actually spell mascarpone the way most of the folks on Food Network "don't" pronounce it. Their favorite way is, "marscapone." Makes my hair stand on end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Mary, how can I possibly pass by your fabulous looking cupcakes with mascarpone topping. This topping goes beautifully on carrot cake too! I do agree about buttermilk giving that extra something special in baking and it's also perfect in American pancakes too!
    Now how can I do my New Year's diet with so much temptation around?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Han de ser buenisima!!!!

    Un cariñoso abrazo.

    Feliz año 2013.

    Manoli

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so perfect! You are getting so good at photography as well as cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous looking cakes!! They are oozing deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree about buttermilk. These look fabulous, and isn´t mascarpone a wonderful ingredient? I use it every time a recipe calls for creme fraiche or I want sour cream coffee cakes to be richer. I must try the chocolate cake recipe Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice looking fairy cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That frosting swirl looks quite heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah Mary these look absolutely heavenly and delicious and I love your cup cases are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Mary! I agree on the buttermilk too, so far they produce very nice results . Mascarpone frosting sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so decadent, yum!!!!Hope you are well,

    ReplyDelete
  16. aaahhh, yummy! I have Mascarpone in the fridge!! and yes I love baking with buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those cupcakes look like the perfect way to start the year Mary! So delicious and the icing is piped on beautifully! Happy New Year to you! I agree with you about Buttermilk. I just wish we could get it in litres over here instead of those poxy little cups. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, love the frosting, so romantic! Happy New Year to u, Mary..are u not going to England any time soon? I love to see good delicious cuppies, instead of some new year resolution kind of food which is the norm this month, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look fabulous! Yes, I love marscapone cheese!

    I do like buttermilk in baked goods. In the past, I would but buttermilk for a recipe and then have a lot leftover-it usually went to waste. I learned that you can freeze buttermilk and now it is no longer an issue.

    Happy New Year!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree! Buttermilk is especially good in chocolate cakes. Love those cute cupcake liners - where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Buttermilk is almost a staple in my kitchen. Love making salad dressings with it, too. Delicious cupcakes! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I will also be doing Cooking Class Mondays, FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love using buttermilk in my cake mixture. This looks beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can see a lot of bowl licking with this frosting. They sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look so delish, love the idea of pairing them with mascarpone frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Got to try these cupcakes......its the frosting, I must make some. Got a baby shower coming up and that would be a great time to try the frosting.
    Following you now
    Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!