Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Shakshuka, Baked Eggs in a Spicy Tomato Sauce.


This is absolutely my favorite lunch.  It's an Israeli dish made by poaching eggs in a tomato sauce with a hint (or blast if you prefer) of heat from a chili, topped off with some crumbled cheese. You can bend the rules a bit here if you want to, I happened to have some blue cheese crumbles in the fridge and used those but usually feta is a great option.  I love it smothered with fresh herbs but sadly I didn't have any and it was still delicious with a healthy sprinkle of dried thyme. Traditionally it's cooked in an earthenware dish but a frying pan will work fine too. Warm pita bread to sop up the juices is a great idea.

Shakshuka.

A tablespoon or two of olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 small green chili, finely chopped
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1, 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
4-6 eggs
3/4 - 1 cup of crumbled cheese, feta would be perfect
Fresh parsley or dried herbs such as thyme
Salt and pepper.

In a cast iron pan (or regular frying pan) heat the oil.

Add the onion and saute on a low heat until the they are nicely browned.  Add the chili, a sprinkle of salt, pepper and cumin. Saute for a further minute or two.


Add the tomato sauce and stir until everything is combined.  Make a little 5-6 little wells in the sauce and crack the eggs into each one.  Sprinkle with cheese and herbs.  Place a lid on the pan and poach the eggs until they have set.  I like mine pretty runny so I only poached them for about 3 minutes, if you like them harder give them about 5-6. Remember they will keep cooking for a little while after they're removed from the heat.

While they're cooking heat up the pita bread.


Spoon the eggs out onto a plate adding more fresh herbs if you like.  Pass the pita to soak up the sauce.


18 comments:

  1. Poached eggs are my FAVORITE! I have never seen them made in a tomato sauce like this. Wow, does this look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm this is one of my favourite things to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic recipe, easy to prepare and it looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For reasons that I can't articulate I'm not in a tomato mode taste bud-wise these days. But I am thinking that a person could make something quite similar using tomatillos and some broth given that the tomatillos don't have as much moisture in them. Sounds like fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic way to prepare eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! I love eggs for lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowsa wowsa,, those are some spicy eggs right there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok....are you ready for this....I have never had a poached egg before! Just might be a good time to have one, cause this recipe sounds great.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an original dish, Mary. I like the sound of the seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely LOVE this also, especially spooned over a nice crusty piece of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm researching a lot of Turkish dishes and so many of them sound like your Israeli dish. It looks delicious...no doubt I would easily gobble it up. Love, love, love eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come to your house for lunch? This looks amazing, so flavorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would LOVE this, Mary! I eat an egg everyday and this gives me a new option.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! This could be my favorite lunch... and dinner.. and even breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like such a delicious and healthy lunch/dinner. I have seen a few recipes for eggs baked in tomato sauce before but somehow never dared to prepare it - looking at your post, I am sure that I should give it a try.
    P.S.: Your recipe for the Apple & Blueberry Cobbler was wonderful, thanks for posting it! The kids adored it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This look absolutely yummy love it!
    I hope you feel better soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dish looks fabulous…my kind of food…comfort through and through! I will have to give this one a try!
    I also loved your Apple & Blueberry Cobbler…Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My moms taught me a different version. These look great though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!