Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Very Quick and Easy Saturday Night Dinner.


By very quick and easy I mean it takes you 5 minutes to put it in the oven and then you lie on the sofa with a glass of wine for an hour and it's done. I may be showing my age but I consider that not only a good and helpful meal but a very satisfactory evening. Use sweet potatoes or regular potatoes it really doesn't matter.  If you're after extra crispy potatoes put them on their own baking sheet.  This is very close to a Nigella Lawson recipe I'll admit, but honestly I've been doing this for years! For dessert my usual standby of a fruit cobbler always pleases, especially with a healthy scoop of ice cream.




Saturday Night Roast Chicken with Potatoes.

1 4 lb chicken
2 tablespoons of room temperature unsalted butter
A couple of cloves of garlic
Fresh herbs, whatever you have on hand, I used parsley last night
salt and pepper
Harissa spice OR a mixture of cumin, cardamon, cinnamon and coriander.
Olive oil
Baking or sweet potatoes.

Heat the oven to 425 F

Pat the chicken dry and smear the butter all over it.  Sprinkle the chicken with a very liberal hand the salt, pepper, harissa spice or spice mixture inside and out.



Stuff it with the garlic cloves and fresh herbs, place in a baking tray and put in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.


Peel the potatoes.  After the chicken has roasted for the first 30 minutes, remove from the oven, scatter the potatoes around the chicken, toss them in the juices and sprinkle a little extra harissa spice over them.  If you wish to cook them separately, toss them in a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and spice mixture and place on another baking sheet and place in the oven.



Place back into the oven and roast for approximately another 45 minutes or until they are thoroughly cooked through and the chicken is a gorgeous golden brown.

To serve, I left this in the pan and let the vultures devour it in their own fashion.


While dessert rested patiently on the side.


32 comments:

  1. Delicious preparation must have been a great dinner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken looks delicious! The harissa you use isn't hot? I always get the stuff in a tube which also contains hot red chili. I'm not familiar with the dry version from Williams-Sonoma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...I love cooking the potatoes in the pan of the chicken! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good idea - quick preparation on a Saturday night at home and a glass of wine while it cooks - it looks so golden and crispy.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, this looks beautiful! I need to pick up a chicken and make this. Leftovers would be fabulous to have on hand, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still deciding if I'm drooling more over the chicken (and the sweet potatoes, my god, I should do sweet potatoes more often) or the dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love the idea/vision of lying on the sofa with a glass of wine while dinner is in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds amazing but when I cook a chicken in this way at that temp it splatters my oven and smokes us out, smoke detectors are going, ( I live in an apartment) , could I turn the temp down and still have success with it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum...you just can't beat a good fruit cobbler and Ice cream!! Gets em' every time.
    Enjoy the super bowl..

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is my kind of meal, too! I love that it's cold out...winter is the best time to have the oven do the work for dinner! Makes the house smell so good,too! You just can't beat a roasted chicken or fruit cobbler...two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, that looks amazing... Your chicken casserole is my new favorite, and I'm making (and blogging) your short ribs this week!! I LOVE your food, friend!!!
    Lots of love, April

    PS- I'm sorry you can't wear pretty shoes yet, but I'm so glad you're healing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite Sunday meal, Mary! It all looks simply delicious and must have tasted gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Mum"'s the word after for sure after that meal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the answer, all right. Pop it in the oven and smell all the delicious fragrances while lounging on the sofa! :)
    Going to try sweet potatoes with mine the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would like to lie down on the sofa and enjoy the chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is truly the perfect Sunday meal! Love that you used harissa...it's a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The whole dinner looks scrumptious, do you take reservations? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful family meal! So comforting. Perfect for everyone to enjoy around the table together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm it looks wonderful, Mary! I like the idea of the spices and also letting the vultures go at it!! That sure saves on clean up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious....I especially like that you baked this with sweet potatoes. I am going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delicious looking meal. I wish I had one cooking right now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Easy and delicious... I'm with you, it's satisfying for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pop it in the oven and sit down with a glass of wine - you should put that in the directions - sounds terrific to me. It looks terrific too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, you really prepare the most wonderful dinners for your family and you present them in the most appetizing ways! I always enjoy looking at your wonderful photography and reading through your wonderful recipes - sweet potatoes are delicious with chicken and Harissa as a spice is a nice change to the usual "pepper & salt treatment". Just wonderful, Mary. And I certainly hope that you are feeling better!
    Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sold! I am so doing this. Snow coming this weekend. I'll be warm in the kitchen with a warm chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Five minutes prep work sounds perfect for me! This is a beautiful bird, and it sounds tasty as well. Hope your recovery continues to go well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Look delicious Mary! Really yumm!:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks amazing!!!!!!!!!! simple but delicious! Greatings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!