Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie


If I've ever been a food snob about frozen puff pastry, I take it all back.  Frozen puff pastry is a wonderful thing and was invented as far as I can see for chicken pot pie. I've always made the crust from scratch, which is fun but time consuming, I can truly say "never again." This was so easy and I have to admit tasted better than the homemade version. I very often roast two chickens at the same time, one for eating immediately and one to make into soup, pie or sandwiches.  Pot pie is a lovely dish for cold weather, make one big one or small individual ones such as above.


Chicken Pot Pie.

1 4lb chicken, roasted
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
Fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon or thyme
1 cup of frozen peas

For the Roux Sauce.
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
4 tablespoons of all purpose flour
4 cups of milk, whole, semi or skimmed
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of finely chopped herbs.

1 sheet of frozen puff pastry.


Heat the oven to 425F

Roast the chicken.

While the chicken is roasting make the roux sauce for the pie.  Heat the butter in a saucepan until melted, add the flour and stir together well.

Add the milk gradually, stirring well after each addition so the sauce doesn't get lumpy.

Add the salt, pepper and pinch of nutmeg.  Set the sauce aside.

In a saute pan heat the olive oil, add the onion, carrots and celery.  Saute for approximately 8 minutes until the vegetables are soft.  Set aside.

When the chicken is cooked, allow to rest for 10-20 minutes. Shred the meat and add to the roux sauce, add the vegetables and stir to combine.  Pour into 1 oven proof dish or individual dishes.

Unfold the frozen puff pastry and cut to cover the size of the dish.  Brush the edge of the dish with some beaten egg, place the pastry top over the dish and press down firmly on the egg washed edge. Sprinkle the top with sea salt, ground black pepper and very finely chopped herbs.

Place the pie dish on a baking tray and into the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes or until the pastry is risen and golden.


35 comments:

  1. I agree - sometimes the frozen puff pastry is the way to go! This pot pie looks amazing. Perfect for this wintery weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. A perfect dish for our cold weather : ) Sometimes I prefer to use pre-made store bought products to save time and energy as well. Semi homemade : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I graduated to a quick puff pastry, but still can´t find a good all-butter one here. But I make a lot at a time and freeze it. The joy of taking a pot pie like your last pic out of the oven is unbelievable! And it tastes so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funnily enough, I've been having the same dilemma about frozen puff pastry myself- I have this feeling it's going to be much lighter than my own efforts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks beautiful, Mary. I can smell the aroma from here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potpies look so tempting and inviting

    ReplyDelete
  7. What perfect comfort food! Pot Pie is a favorite for my 3 boys. Might have to give the puff pastry a try sometime. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too used to make my own puff pastry until I discovered a frozen one made with butter (I think it's called Dufour) which I prefer to my own.

    Your pot pie looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comfort food at its best! My friends and I were shopping yesterday and this topic came up, they purchased individual ones in a specialty food store we were in. I didn't, boo hoo, but this recipe sounds great. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, I love chicken pot pies and make a lot of them, sometimes with puff pastry, sometimes with flaky pastry. Yours looks wonderful! Wish I had one this very minute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!!! This looks really delicious!!! Yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I recently made some Curry flavored Chicken Pot pie and served to some guests and they licked the bowls clean :-) I love it and yours looks scrumptious as well..

    First time here, glad I stumbled into your blog! u have a great space here.

    Regards,
    Manju
    http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect pie, I love the combination of ingredients, it would be perfect for a wintery day such as today. Like you I use frozen pastry, but only for savory meals, sweet pies still need that homemade touch. I think we may well be eating this gorgeous pie next week.
    Thank you Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious buttery looking crust!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful thing indeed is frozen puff pastry - the all butter kind. I love the look of your pot pie. Good idea to roast 2 chickens at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pot pie looks amazing! I must admit I've never worked with puff pastry before - but your endorsement is nice to hear / read. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum! I love homemade chicken pie and make it often! But I've always made the crust! Your photos and description make me want to try this frozen puff pastry! I never buy it...that may have to change! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep wanting to make a chicken pot pie. They look so delicious, creamy, hearty. I definitely want to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks delicious and perfect for a snowy day like we are having today. Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have gone long periods between using frozen pastry dough. Whenever I find my way back I am pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love chicken pot pie, but have never thought of using frozen puff pastry for the crust. Sounds like a winner to me. You pot pie looks so yummy, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh this is a favourite, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO gorgeous with that glazed puff pastry topping! I just made a chicken pot pie with yummy biscuits on top, but I'll go with your method next!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary , frozen puff pastry is wonderful indeed ! You can never get that kind of flaky and beautiful texture in making it homemade except if you're a pro or if you've been baking pastry as if there's no tomorrow lol That pot pie looks pretty scrumptious ! Such a hearty and filling meal to have esp during cold days :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hubs love chicken pot pie. Looks delish. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really yummy and delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used to be all about making things from scratch... Now I'm about convenience and ease... and there is nothing wrong with that!!! The pot pie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mary, this looks delicious! Pot pie is a favorite here and I'm all for workable shortcuts. I really want to try this. It sounds wonderful. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast & easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you could check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love a good ol pie, and especially in our busy life you may as well make life easier for yourself x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have always felt a bit of a cheat using shop bought puff pastry but it is just so easy. It always tastes really good too. My mouth was watering reading your recipe. Delicious :)))

    ReplyDelete
  32. My husbands favorite meal is pot pie! Your photos are just beautiful! Have a wonderful weekend, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Frozen Puff Pastry is a miracle in the freezer! It is the base of a delicious apple tart.
    I do love pot pie but the 'pastry' part often puts a stop to it--it just seems to big. This is a great idea. Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!