Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lemon and Blueberry Tarts and a Little Ray of Sunshine


Who's craving Spring?  I certainly am and wanted to make something pretty, full of spring  flavors. These little lemon tarts were just the ticket. The pastry (pate brisee) is fun to make and the filling is a luscious   mixture of lemon curd, mascarpone cheese, lemon zest and cream, topped with a few blueberries.  When I finished filling these tart shells the sun came out!



Lemon, Blueberry Tarts.

For the pate brisee, recipe from Breakfast, Lunch Tea.

3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2/3 cup of white sugar
1 1/2 cups of butter
2 egg yolks
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the filling.

8 oz mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 jar of store bought lemon curd
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
Zest of a lemon.

Heat the oven to 350 F

Mix the flour, sugar and butter (cut into small cubes) in a large bowl.  Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertip until it resembles course breadcrumbs.

Make a well in the mixture, crack the egg, egg yolks and vanilla into the middle.

With a fork combine the ingredients.  When it's coming together (it will be very crumbly at first) use your hand to fully combine.  It takes a few minutes until you feel it's going to stick together.

Turn out onto a floured surface and knead it for a moment or two until it's fairly smooth.

Roll out and place in your tart shells.  Use whatever you have available, one big tart is also lovely.

Chill the tart shells in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Bake, if you're using mini tart shells bake for 20 minutes.  Keep an eye on them, when they're turning golden they're done.

Remove from the oven and allow to thoroughly cool.

Meanwhile make the filling.  Whip the cream and the confectioner's sugar to soft peaks.

In another bowl, combine the mascarpone, lemon curd, zest and vanilla extract.  Fold the cream into the lemon curd mixture.  Fill the shells and top with blueberries.




31 comments:

  1. These look worth every bit of the effort. Love blueberries and lemons. And I can't resist the little tartlets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, how adorable are these?! And no doubt, they're delicious too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it, these are literally bite sized, how cute! I love lemons and blueberries together, the colors are so cheerful--- happy almost spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After weeks of raining here in Savannah, I am definitely ready for spring and this is just perrrrfect! Beautiful, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These tarts look wonderful, Mary! I adore lemon and blueberry together, so these are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of these days you baking mavens are going to drag me kicking and screaming to the bag of AP flour and get me to make pastry. Alas, it won't be today. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemon and blueberries - what a perfect combination and I have a few in the fridge. I was going to make muffins but these are a much better idea!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for bringing out the sun! These are a little ray of sunshine - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please send a couple over here, they look so yummy:-) Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was never a fan of lemon before, but now I can't get enough of it! These look amazing! Happy Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aren't they lovely, so worth the work, delicious,

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I could have one of these right now Mary! Maybe two! And yes, I'm ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do think Spring is just around the corner now... and those beautiful tartlets look just the thing to celebrate it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these are so cute! Lemon and blueberry is a lovely combo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty, Mary! Those tarts are just so cute! You know, this is like God sent, as I made just too many jars of lemon curd and don't know what to do with them, hit the spot with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so cute and delicious. I may just overcome my pie crust phobia to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, yes, yes. I need one today. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look fabulously delicious Mary. I once did some tarts like this for the wedding luncheon we had for all of the Bridesmaids for the daughter of the people I worked for at the big house when I cooked at the manor. I did a trio of small bites and these lovely little tarts (or something very similar) was one of the trio. Yours look just wonderful! Well done you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. These little tartlets are the CUTEST! Do you think if I eat a batch it will coerce spring into coming sooner? Definitely worth a try. :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. The tarts look like a bite of lemon lusciousness, Mary. They're the perfect portion control, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous little tartlets! I'm glad they brought the sun out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Mary…these are wonderfully delicious looking! I could use a little Spring about now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These tartlets look ever so beautiful! I am very sure they taste divine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bring on the sunshine! These are just adorable. I think I just found my Easter dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What lovely little tarts and a happy reminder that Spring is around the corner. I love the combination of lemon and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love these little tarts and I love lemon curd! yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful little tarts, cant wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahh, I just jared homemade lemon curd...this is a perfect receipe for it .. thank you, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!