Monday, February 18, 2013

Roast Pork Loin with Oranges, Fennel and Spices



This is another of those Saturday evening specials. You know the ones I'm so fond of. Put it in the oven, when it's ready watch the James Bond movie while eating and drinking.  It may be my age catching up with me but as far as I'm concerned this is a perfect evening. The pork roast was very lean so I rubbed a fairly substantial amount of butter all over it, then rolled it in chopped herbs, spices and orange zest - surrounded it with veggies and roasted it for an hour, it's as simple as that.



Roast Pork Loin with Oranges, Fennel and Spices.

1, 2 lb pork loin
2-3 tablespoons of unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 fennel bulbs
4 carrots (or in this case a couple of handfuls of baby carrots)
2 onions
Fresh parsley or rosemary
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of cumin and cardamon
Zest of an orange
1 orange, quartered
Olive oil


Heat the oven to 375 F

If you can remember take the pork out of the fridge about an hour before cooking and let it come to room temperature.  The same applies to the butter.

When you're ready to cook, rub the butter all over the pork.  Chop the herbs very finely.  Mix with the salt, pepper, cumin, cardamon and orange zest.

Roll the buttered pork loin in the herb mixture.  Place in a baking pan and scatter the vegetables and orange wedges around the meat. Pour a little olive oil over the veggies and sprinkle with salt, pepper and cumin.


Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.  Take the pan out, toss the veggies around and baste the meat.  Put back into the oven for a further 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven, place the meat on a warm platter, cover with aluminum foil to rest for at least 10 minutes.  If needed place the veggies back into the oven to crisp up.

Slice and serve with plenty of vegetables and juices.




20 comments:

  1. Pork is a favourite though I get to eat it very less! This combo with oranges sounds yummmmmm - Shella (www.kitchensecrets.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the combination of flavors! I did an orange pork loin for a group last week, but it was a bit bland. This is what I had envisioned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty good evening to me. Just can't beat a good movie and a meal this good to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds very good and your idea of a perfect evening is the same as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely roast for a cold winter evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pork loin is such a comfort food and great for a crowd. I could easily see myself sitting around the table with family, enjoying this wonderful meal! Great combo of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful, Mary and I just love the flavour of fennel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazingly delicious and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful evening to me. I love these roasted - everything in the pan together - kinda dinners. Very nice and it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic, I'd love to spend a Saturday evening at your fine restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your pork loin looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks fabulous! and I love easy meals like this too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, looks absolutely scrumptious! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a perfect evening to me too!! And with this pork loin roast.... uhhhmmm.. yea, it's a little like heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary, the flavors of orange, fennel, carrots, and onions together with pork is hard to beat and just perfect for this time of year. Your photos are very colorful and make your dinner look extraordinarily delicious!
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmm I am salivating - I love beautifully cooked pork and that looks just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These photos are making my mouth water. I do love a good pork roast, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The other white, yum! Don't you fine that pork goes perfectly with all fruit. This has everything I love in a good meal and gorgeous to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love evenings like this; the perfect date night. Your meal looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this looks like a really delicious meal. I agree with you that pork loin can be very lean, but the way you have cooked with the oranges, fennels and spices, i'm sure it was delicious x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!