Sunday, March 17, 2013

From Your Spice Rack, Moroccan Baked Chicken with Couscous



Don't you just love spices? This easy chicken dish uses my top four favorite spices, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and cayenne.  Drizzled with a little honey and nestled between lemons and onions the chicken is baked slowly and the result is succulent, tender and aromatic.  This is wonderful paired with couscous dotted with toasted slivered almonds, raisins and fresh parsley.

If you are looking for a new spice rack, visit the following link!
http://www.johnlewis.com/home-garden/cookware/kitchen-accessories/kitchen-racks-stands/c80000894/pg-view-all





For the Moroccan Baked Chicken.

1 large chicken, cut up, bone in, skin on
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon of  cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lemon, quartered
1 tablespoon runny honey
1 cup white wine
A handful of fresh parsley

For the Couscous.

1 1/2 cups of couscous (regular or wholewheat)
3 cups of water
A pinch of sea salt
A grinding of black pepper
6-8 cherry tomatoes
A handful of arugula (or rocket)
1/4 cup of slivered almonds (toasted)
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup of olive oil
Juice and zest of a lemon
A handful of chopped parsley

Heat the oven to 350 F

To make the spice rub, combine the cinnamon, coriander, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Stir together well.

Add the tablespoon of olive oil and combine thoroughly.

Make sure the chicken pieces are dry and then coat them in the spice rub, allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.


Place the chicken in a baking dish, nestle the lemons and onions between the chicken pieces, pour the honey over the top of the chicken and the white wine down the side of the pan so as not to wash off the spice rub. Sprinkle some fresh parsley over the top.

Place the dish in the oven and bake for approximately 1-1/2 hours. The skin will be golden and the juices will run clear.  Remove from the oven, cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Make the couscous according to the package directions.

Toast the slivered almonds. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl place the couscous, halved cherry tomatoes, arugula (rocket),raisins, salt, pepper, lemon zest and chopped parsley.

In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil.  Pour over the couscous and toss together.  Check the seasonings.

To serve, arrange the chicken, lemons and onions on top of the couscous and spoon over the juices.  Add a sprinkle of chopped parsley over the top.

25 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, this sounds so delicious. I just need chicken and couscous, have all the spices. Ha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so good! I might just have to make this for my brother's birthday dinner. I can't eat couscous or rice but I'll bet this would be good on top of buttered noodles also. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a flavorful looking dish! Some how my homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich seem just to ordinary!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing, and the presentation is so colorful. I really like the complexity of the spiced chicken on top of the couscous with all those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the spices you have used for this; can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a dream recipe for me. The word moroccan in the title always work for me. Gorgeous Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is marvelous. And I am especially thrilled by your use of a whole chicken instead of those pesky boneless, skinless, soulless breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll be trying this. I got a big pack of chicken legs and thighs on clearance the other day and this recipe will be perfect for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are making me drool! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure what I loved the most: the couscous or the chicken. Really nice combination of ingredients. I mean, really. I most definitely am going to try it - not sure whether together or apart - but I definitely will. Thank you

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks very good Mary. I love Moroccan flavours. I've never been to Morocco, but I do love these spice combinations! Hope you have a lovely week! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your meals always look so delicious! Look so simple yet so flavourful from all the spices, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, these chicken breasts are on my to-make list. I seriously love all the chicken dishes you are showcasing lately. I especially love chicken dishes that can be thrown in the oven to bake. Easy peasy! Have a happy week :)
    xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful presentation and it sounds so wonderfully yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this would be like having a party in your mouth with each bite. What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love spices! It is amazing how huge of a difference they make in a simple dish. This chicken looks amazing and perfectly cooked

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaahhhh... the lovely things we can make and we don't even need to go any further than our own pantries!!! Love this chicken dish.. simple and packed with a ton of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful Mary - this chicken is singing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary, I cannot say that I have ever prepared a Moroccan dish but your recipe sounds absolutely delightful and I absolutely adore the presentation of the chicken dish on that very pretty platter - so stylish and elegant and fantastic colors!
    Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, I love Moroccan spice in chicken, and seafood, especially pairing it with the couscous just the way you did! Awesome, colorful, and totally delicious! My kind of favorite dish. I'm sooo bookmarking this recipe and will want to make it soon! Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds excellent, Mary. I haven't played with many Moroccan flavors, but now I think I should!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just mention honey and my husband loves it....He thinks everything taste better with honey..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!