Monday, March 4, 2013

Orzo with Bacon, Peas and Parmesan Cheese!



This is one of those Nigella Lawson knock off recipes.  In spirit it's her but I like to think I've bumped up the flavors a bit.  This is pure cold weather comfort food, there's no real excuse for bacon, butter and pasta except as a last resort at the end of a cold winter.  It's also really quick to cook and kids LOVE it.

Orzo with Bacon, Peas and Parmesan Cheese.

1 packet of orzo
1 packet of bacon, fat trimmed as much as possible and chopped into small pieces
A tablespoon or so of olive oil
1 onion
4 garlic cloves
A pinch to red pepper flakes
A splash of white wine
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (approximately) of Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
Fresh parsley

Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the orzo and cook until al dente.

Meanwhile cook the bacon and onion in a large saute pan until the bacon's crisp and the onions golden. Add the red pepper flakes, a handful of fresh parsley and cook for another minute.

Add the splash of white wine and let it sizzle and cook for a minute or two.

Drain the orzo reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.  Add the bacon mixture to the orzo, along with the butter, Parmesan, frozen peas (which will cook in the heat of the pasta) another handful of parsley and taste for salt and pepper.

If the mixture is too dry add some of the cooking water.  Serve immediately!

23 comments:

  1. Oh yum..this is a perfect pasta dish to me. I like that you add a splash of wine to this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why this would be a tasty dish everyone loves! Sounds like the flavors in this are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am extremely fond of orzo. I am extremely fond of bacon. I am extremely fond of peas. If you ever here me say, "Bacon makes everything better," please shoot me and FoodNetwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love orzo! I'm bookmarking this recipe to try soon ! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just pinned this...looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!! I still haven't cooked anything with orzo, but I want to. Maybe this one will win over the husband, it does have bacon in it, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, love the colours of orzo, Mary. I just discovered orzo very late, like only last year! And never tried making dish out of it, only in soups..so this idea of yours is welcomed greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orzo, wine, bacon and garlic - oh my! Yes please :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big bowl of warming comfort! What a delicious combo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i absolutely love orzo and think it is such a versatile and easy dish. I love your addition of the bacon and peas

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really tasty, Mary. I had to look up to see what "Orzo" was! I thought it might be made of barley (because of the name), but in fact it's rice-shaped pasta! I find that peas go so well with this dish as they give a refreshing taste to pasta and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like such a tasty meal! I'd love to dig into a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic. I've fallen head over heels in love with orzo and can't live without it in my kitchen.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. "there's no real excuse for bacon, butter and pasta"... WHAT? There is ALWAYS reason for bacon, butter and pasta.... lol.. ok, maybe all of them together isn't the healthiest, but there's always a reason for them!! :) I'd like a HUGE bowl of this, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this look amazing Mary! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love orzo - and this sounds like a wonderful flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  17. a great looking pasta dish...does sound great to warm the tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I could take a big bite of this right through the computer screen. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Orzo is such a fun food--add bacon and it is delicious. Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, how delicious looking! I love the pops of green from the peas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, always helpful to have a really tasty pasta recipe on hand for those last days of winter and it is always inportant to create meals that all the family members can agree on. I love the photos, they make this dish look so bright and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!