Monday, March 25, 2013

Pound Cake Flecked with Orange and Almonds.


If this doesn't welcome Spring I can't think what does.  It's a lovely pound cake, rich and buttery with a scent of oranges and almonds.  If it lasts to the next day the flavors become stronger and more delicious.  Perfect with a cup of tea or for dessert with berries and cream.  It's also, as ever, a snap to make.





Pound Cake Flecked with Orange and Almonds.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 sticks of butter (8 oz)  room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon almond extract
Juice of half an orange
Zest of an orange
1/2 cup of milk

Heat the oven to 350 F

Butter and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

In a measuring jug combine the milk and the orange juice.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and orange zest until very light and fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is well combined scraping down the bowl after each addition.

Add half the flour mixture and gently combine, add the milk/orange juice and combine and finish off with the rest of the flour.  Fold gently to combine.

Pour the mixture into a loaf pan and place in the middle of the oven.  Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until risen and golden.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes or so in the pan, then turn out onto a baking rack to cool thoroughly.

To serve, either sift a little confectioner's sugar over the top and slice with a cup of tea or whip some cream and add some berries.  Either way is delicious.


33 comments:

  1. You absolutely cannot beat a good pound cake. My husband loves it toasted. The orange sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - this definitely is a great dessert to welcome spring! So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, saving this one, I adore pound cake and orange flavor is perfect for it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making this today, I was looking for something for tea tomorrow, this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound delicious. Recipe copied ready to give it a try. Thanks. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. This orange pound cake looks incredible, Mary! There is nothing like the flavor that the simplicity of citrus brings to food. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks glorious, I'm going through a pound cake 'phase' right now, and the orange and almond combination sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks sooo good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The almond and orange must make this have a heavenly scent! This pound cake sounds like what I need to welcome spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This photo could be on a food magazine cover. The fruit and cream along with the cake has literally made my mouth water. I think I might make this for Easter Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pound cakes. I somehow have convinced myself that they have less calories than a cake covered in icing. Goodness, this looks so good......I know it would be a hit here with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only does the pound cake look wonderful, but the cream and berries is calling my name - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks amazing! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pound cake looks lovely! Serving it with cream and berries looks so delightful! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely recipe to come home to! Almonds and lemon is a lovely combination! Your presentation is so inviting too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Instead of the almond extract, could you replace some of the regular flour with almond flour?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, This looks absolutely amazing and your photos are beautiful! Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks just divine, mary, shame we've regressed right back to Winter here in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This pound cake looks like the epitome of spring! Now if only the weather would take the hint...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with everyone that has already written a comment: it looks really inviting, I love how it just glows in front of our eyes. The presentation is beautiful. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This look good enough to pretend it's warm and have a celebration! Even better, I think Easter here in the Carolinas is predicted to be quite lovely, a perfect dessert for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely and delicious looking slice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks beautiful! I love that the recipe calls for one pan instead of two:@)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Luce delicioso y hermosos babeo por un pedazo,feliz semana abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. my favorite part of this bread is the center. You see how it has slightly split apart allowing for the buttery part to rise and beg me to come eat it? Has always and will always be my favorite part of pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can I please be your friend--I'll move near you and you can share your leftovers with me. Your food always looks most delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always love pound cake. This looks so moist and soft. Orange flavor makes it extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delicious! I need this. For my breakfast tomorrow. Really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks mouthwatering!The perfect companion for my coffee!
    Hugs and kisses from Greece,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks absolutely scrumptious, Mary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds perfect to have in the afternoon with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, what a picture of perfection for your luscious pound cake, Mary! Happy Easter blessing! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!