Friday, March 8, 2013

Shepherd's Pie with Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes



Surely this has to be the last snow storm of a very long winter.  Another 8 inches of the white stuff fell from the sky last night.  The only way to cope with more cold is Shepherd's Pie.  I used buttermilk in the mashed potatoes to give them a slightly tangy edge but then added butter and cheddar cheese to round it all out.  I cooked the ragu for a couple of hours on the stove top, it's not absolutely necessary but I think it develops a richer flavor that way. Make individual pies or one large one, my children seem to like the individual approach and I'm happy to oblige. 






Shepherd's Pie.

6-8 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
4 oz grated cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
A handful of fresh parsley

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb of best quality ground beef
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 sticks celery, washed and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, mashed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary and parsley
1 cup of beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
A good shake of Worcestershire sauce
1, 14oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup of frozen peas
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons cornstarch


Heat the oven to 375 F

Make the mashed potatoes and set aside.

In a saute pan heat the olive oil, brown the meat, pour off any excess fat and set the meat aside in a bowl covered with aluminum foil.

Add a little more olive oil to the pan and saute the onion, carrot, celery, rosemary and parsley and garlic for about 8-10 minutes until soft and slightly golden.

Add the meat back in the pan with the vegetables.

Season well with salt and pepper, add the tomato paste, beef broth, tomatoes, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.  Combine well, bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer.  Leave on a simmer for two hours, stirring occasionally.  At this point add the frozen peas.

Mix the butter and the flour together to form a paste, add a tablespoon of the ragu and thoroughly mix then pour back into the meat sauce.  Stir to incorporate and simmer for a few minutes.

Pour the meat ragu into an ovenproof dish, top with mashed potato making a swirly pattern with a fork.  Place the dish on a baking tray and put in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the potato is very slightly browned in spots.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and then serve.


44 comments:

  1. Comfort food at its finest. I love to use buttermilk in mash potatoes and it's so nice that someone else does too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ashamed I've never used buttermilk in mashed potatoes! My husband would love it! I made mac n cheese for our snow storm. I'll put the recipe up as soon as I can! Hope you have lovely weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy!! I love shepperds pie and I love your version, with the cheddar in the mashed potatoe part..I didn't do it like that! Thanks for the recipe.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks so good I could use a big bowl right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's time for me to make a confession. I have no explanation for this, but I love mashed potatoes and I love all the stuff that goes underneath them. But for some reason I don't like it constructed as a shepherd's pie. Is there a 23-step program I can enroll in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm adding to my previous comment this fact: I have a blogging friend who will eat corn on the cob, but won't eat it off the cob. She and I should start the 12-step group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shepherd's pie is such a great Winter food! I do a veggie version using minced brown chickpeas for the mince-like texture and protein. The kids like their mash with cheese in, but I like mine with a little tahini instead of butter or cheese. Hope the snow goes away quickly and the Spring flowers survive :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't eat beef but this still looks yum to me! I love the crusty top of the pie..

    ReplyDelete
  9. How delicious does that look? I hae started cooking mince ragu for a good coupel of hours too - I agree that it makes it richer, and also makes the meat more tender. We are such wimps here int he UK when it comes to snow - 8 inches in one night? We would grind to a halt...

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing about that recipe I don't like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shepherd's Pie is a favourite of mine - perfect comfort food. I've never thought about buttermilk - good idea!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks amazing, the potatoes look brilliant!! I will have to try this for sure!One of our favorite dishes,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary,
    Your Shepherd's pie is girgeous, ans a perfect snowy day meal in one dish. My hubby would love this. He loves potatoes, especially mashed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just lovely! I've never made Sheperd's Pie! I always do a pot pie. I'll have to do something about that...yours looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't had Shepherd's Pie in years but always loved it. Your recipe looks so comforting. I'm saving this to make for my family before winter is over. Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks super good and I can only imagine how good it would be on a cold night..always love your dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  17. so gorgeous, Mary! I love your pot, perfect for shepherd's pie..this is a great comfort food:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! Love the idea of buttermilk in the mashed potatoes. It all sounds delicious! And I am SO over winter already!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmmm my mouth is watering. Yum yum. Have a good weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. I try to make a version at least once a year...hubby LOVES shepherd's pie! Yours looks outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shepherds Pie is one of those all time comfort foods shaken up a little with buttermilk and cheese in the mash.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh boy, does this ever look good. I love that you used buttermilk in the mashed potatoes. I just recently started to use it in my potatoes to cut some calories out. Please, no more snow. We got over a foot yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love everything you put in that delicious pie , Mary ! Looks hearty and filling . Perfect for your snowy weather :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, this sounds wonderful. You're making me want to be in England again. Looks like something you'd find at a local pub. We LOVE the pub food in London and the countryside!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhhhh pure comfort food, Mary, and all in an individual serving! I love it!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. This really does sound like the perfect dish for the snowy week we just had! Perfect comfort food! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have always made Shepherd's Pie in one large dish. I just love your idea of single portions... makes leftovers all that more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mary, I have never made Shepard´s Pie myself but, of course, have heard a lot about it and it does sound and look like the perfect family food - I really like that you chose to serve it in these wonderful lion´s head soup bowls - I own quite a few different sized ones as well, the kids love them. Great recipe, Mary!
    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a glorious comfort food! It must have been ages since I last had a good sheperds pie. I would love some now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am getting weary of the twice weekly snowstorms. Everyone here needs this in our lives. Printing now. Winter is giving up anytime soon. This meal is a happiness to come home to.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mary I love Shepard'pie and this look delicious, delicious food Mary:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks lovely. I liked the idea of using individual ramekins.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Comfort food. No snow storms here but we still dish up the shepherd's pie at least every other week. I think when you have kids they demand it:-)Will have to try the potatoes with butter milk like you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Comfort food oh Comfort food....this looks amazing....I could dive right in!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Perfect for cold weather and I MUST try using buttermilk with my potatoes. Have not done that before.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A delicious looking pie! That is a comforting and tasty speciality I really love.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Mary! This is just perfect for our cold winter days. I love the individual portion option.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i can just taste it right now through the screen! YUM! It looks amazing and that slightly crispy buttery crust speaks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love how you live in America, yet make such British classics dish. All (British) children love this, I remember having this at school and at home. I've never used buttermilk for the mash before, but will have to try from now on. Thanks for the heads up x

    ReplyDelete
  40. One of my favorite British dishes :) I've never made but I'm definitely going to try!

    ReplyDelete
  41. That sounds and looks incredibly delicious! The ultimate comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I haven't made shepherd's pie at all this winter and i'd better get to it before it's too hot! Such a great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm normally not one to be swayed by Shepard's pie.. but dang, girl.. that looks fantastic!!!! Definitely warm and comforting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!