Saturday, April 27, 2013

Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry.



I'm not quite sure if technically there is such a thing as a teriyaki stir fry but if there isn't, there should be.  All those lovely flavors with some veggies and cashew nuts thrown in. This was a perfect dinner for a hungry brood AND it can be made ahead of time so all you have to do is zap it for a few minutes in the microwave and it tastes as good as if it just hopped out of the wok - or pan in my case as I don't own a wok. It is equally wonderful made with some skinless boneless chicken thighs, white basmati rice and sauteed bok choy with minced garlic and a few splashes of soy sauce.

Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry.

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh gingerroot
2 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
1 teaspoon cornstarch

2 tablespoons of safflower oil

1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
3-4 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
A handful of fresh cilantro
1 cup cashews
1-1/2 cups of cooked rice



Directions;

In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, the gingerroot, garlic, honey, mirin,vinegar, cornstarch and the garlic. Marinate chicken in the soy mixture for 20 minutes. 

Preheat a grill pan until hot.  Wipe the excess marinade from the chicken pieces.

Add chicken and sauté for 7-10 minutes.



In another pan heat the oil, saute the onion for 8-10 minutes, then add the celery, carrots, garlic, red pepper for another 5-7 minutes or so on a fairly high high until crisp but cooked.




In a large bowl combine the veggies, rice, cashews and cooked chicken.  Sprinkle the top with fresh cilantro, sprinkle over a little extra soy sauce if desired.




23 comments:

  1. This recipe sure measures on my list of foods. everyone in our family likes these kind of asian recipes. I sure will be tying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just posted this recipe in time for me to try it out today as I have all the ingredients on hand, except the celery, to make it! It looks beautiful and is just the sort of meal I like. I also love anything with ginger in it!
    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this would be a hit at our house. Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very delicious and easy recipe!!!!
    I like so much asian flavors and all the ingredients that you used!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love stir fry meals. Wow, that chicken looks perfect. I'd love this over some sticky brown rice. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks so fresh and vibrant Mary, did I say pretty too? It's beautiful to look at which, in my book, is so important. Love all the flavors going on here! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Mom was just saying she had a craving for stir-fry! This looks absolutely delicious and inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, your teriyaki stir fry looks wonderful - it has a lot of terrific ingredients and is just a perfect family-style recipe! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sure looks delicious! Teriyaki is one of my favourite sauce. Your dish looks so vibrant and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like so much the Japanese kitchen. Your recipe looks delicious, very well made.
    With teriyaki sauce, the style teriyaki, I prepare meats, prawns and vegetable.
    Your dish sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who cares if it exists because your dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you diced the veggies. What a clever idea. That will be easier for serving the kids - and I think they might complain less about veggies that way too. :) And chicken teriyaki is definitely a thing around our house - especially with Mr. N. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It may not technically be in the books but it looks fantastic Mary. We love quick, easy, fresh dinners like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a chicken teriyaki recipe on the menu for later this week! It's one of my favorites. Simple and packed with flavor. Yours looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't made stir fry in forever! What a great easy dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fabulous dinner, it would be a huge hit in my house!! Very creative and delicious looking!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this dish Mary. The pics are drool worth!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious and this is another healthy dish from you :- ) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks exactly like something I need to put on the menu this very week! Gorgeous! (PS You seem to be having the same issue with your PinIt button that I am.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy delicious and finger clicking gravy, love to enjoy with a bowl of pure basmati rice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!