Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Berry Pavlova.


There was nothing but blue skies today, blue skies and sunshine. It was like a perfect English summers day. My grandmother used to make pavlovas almost every weekend during the summers, decorating them with berries from her garden.  These berries I'm afraid were from the supermarket but they still tasted glorious and I was reminded of the English countryside and Sunday lunch at Grandmas. Pavlova's have definitely stood the test of time!  My children now adore this, well everybody does really.  It's a very easy dessert to make, in fact it's one of those rare occasions in life when minimum effort yields a fabulous result.  Grandma was nobody's fool.



Berry Pavlova.

6 egg whites
1 1/4 cup of superfine white sugar (I'm sorry but there's just no substituting this!)
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar

8 oz of heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of confectioner's sugar

Heat the oven to 300 F

The secret to making a great meringue is to keep everything very clean.  Meringue's worst enemy is fat.  If your whisk is greasy your egg whites will flop so just make sure the bowl and whisk are squeaky clean.

Whisk the egg whites on high until stiff.  Add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, the mixture will become beautifully shiny.  Add the tablespoon of white wine vinegar and whisk until combined.

Line a large baking tray with wax paper.  Spoon out the meringue and shape into a circle with a dip in the middle, building up the sides.

Place into the oven and cook for 1 hour. After an hour, turn off the oven but leave the meringue inside with the door closed for a further hour.  When the times up, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile whip the cream, confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract until it has reached the soft peaks stage.

Peel off the wax paper from the meringue disk, place it on a serving plate, fill with whipped cream and top with berries.





32 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious! I always wanted to make pavlova! Thnx for sharing! :)
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I've had this on my list for years but still haven't made one. You have inspired me! Love the memories of your Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pavlovas too...they are perfection! A divine meringue, fruit and whipped cream. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. have never had one, but it sure looks SO GOOD. Guessing this is a very light and delicious dessert. Beautiful picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty Mary and looks fabulous! I grew up eating schaum torte which as almost identical to pavlova, just a German version. I loved it and I had a special aunt who was the master at making these yummy desserts. And you're right, I never met a soul who didn't like them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I can see why your grandma made it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy looking dish Mary! I love the presentation. This is there in my to do list & will make them soon & link back the post to yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny - I made one yesterday and we consumed it this evening!!! Yummy, yummy, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!!!!!!!! One my favourite desserts!!!!!!!!!!!
    However, i haven't yet tried to make it.....and it doesn't look difficult!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me Pavlova is also inextricably linked with memories of my late mother, who would make it to eat al fresco on Summer weekends, with berries fresh from the garden. She was a meringue expert! She even used to make a walnut meringue version with apricots. Since giving up eggs I really miss this desert, although I hear that Orgran No Egg does make a passable "meringue"; must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. pavlova on sunday tea time is so romantic! I can just imagien your granny pottering about and picking fresh berries! Yours look so gorgeous, Mary! Inspiring me now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a scrumptious photo. I've never made a pavlova and would love to give it a try sometime. The fruit on the top just makes it even more outstanding.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!
    I have to prepare this delicious dessert of meringue and fruit! It looks like very tasted!
    Enjoy it!

    A kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely memories to a great dish. How wonderful. Never baked egg whites. Will it take an hour to cook?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a stunning dessert! Only a few weeks till we have local strawberries...and a pavlova will certainly be on our menu!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a sucker for a pavlova. I'm a sucker for berries... see where I'm going with this?

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful dessert! I haven't made a pavlova is ages and I am wondering why. It is such a refreshing joy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary this looks not only delicious but beautiful also! I have always wanted to try this dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delicious dessert to make for this weekend- and just in time for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary, I absolutely adore pavlovas but the last time I attempted to make one, I was less than happy with the result - now I have a fabulous recipe with great explanations to go by and I will most definitely give it another try because your version looks simply fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmmm that looks so good :-) Have a good day. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my daughter's favorite dessert! It looks just lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a beautiful dessert! My kids love it, would usually have seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This definitely has spring written all over it! Beautiful clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love pavlova and this looks devine :)) I tried making meringue once and it was a total disaster just a squidgy mess. I must try again sometime. A perfect spring/summer dessert :))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pavlovas are the perfect spring/summer dessert! Love this berry infusion!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I´ve been meaning to make pavlova forever. It is so gorgeous Mary, perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never been lucky enough to eat pavlova before! What a beautiful dessert and I bet just as delicious as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this pavlova look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My daughter spent 18 months in Australia on a mission for our church (LDS). She came home so excited to teach me how to make pavlova--we had never eaten it in rural Utah!
    She is coming to visit this weekend for girls week. I'll make it because it appears to be gluten free--she would be so happy. Happy memories and a dessert she can eat!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum yum yum, Mary - pavlova is one of my all time favourite desserts! My mom used to make it all the time growing up! I tried to find shop bought meringues yesterday here in Vancouver to make some eton mess for a church (LDS) international potluck night and to my horror they didn't sell them anywhere! Usually I always make my own meringue but we'd been out all day enjoying the rare sun so thought I'd just pick some up quick at the shop with no such luck! I have learnt my lesson for next time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!