Monday, May 20, 2013

Mango, Strawberry, Banana Smoothie


Do try this for breakfast, or for a pick-me-up during the day when the energy levels start to flag.  If you're making it for children there's a host of goodies you can slip in and they won't have the slightest idea. In principal I'm not a believer in hiding "good" foods in children's meals, however when it comes to smoothies I just can't resist.  They're the perfect foil for psyllium husks (great fiber) flaxseed or cod liver oil and if you're feeling really brave a "greens" powder.  How about you - are you above slipping the odd goody into your little ones drink?

Smoothies are a bit like soup, all you really need is a blueprint. I happened to have some fresh mango in the fridge and some frozen strawberries and bananas but you could just as easily use any other berry or fruit.  I do find however, that a frozen banana adds "stability" to a smoothie, it's always a good idea to have a bunch peeled and sitting in the freezer.



Mango, Strawberry, Banana Smoothie.

1 cup of fresh mango
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 scoop of whey OR protein OR greens powder
8 oz of almond milk (you could also use regular, coconut or soy milk, or orange juice)
6 oz carton of vanilla yogurt

AND - optional favorites;

1 scoop of protein powder OR greens powder
1 hearty gulg of flaxseed oil OR cod liver oil
1 sprinkle of psyllium husks
1 sprinkle of chai seeds

Place all the ingredients in the blender and blitz until perfectly smooth.  Pour into a tall glass and enjoy.


16 comments:

  1. These look so refreshing, and what a great idea to infuse more health into little ones diets via smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful start to the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I say, slip in those good for you additives if they won't detect them. They'll never know and you've done them a favor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl....this does look refreshing and healthy. I always knew that GOOD could be healthy. Keep these good recipes coming my way..
    hugs to you
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, honestly, it had not really occured to me to hide goodies in a smoothie, for some reason (until I saw your fun post), I thought of smoothies strictly as fruit based but boosting these wonderful drinks with additional healthy ingredients is actaully a creative and fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great use of almond milk, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so healthy and refreshing , a nice way to start the day

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely smoothie. And no, I'm not above slipping stuff like flax into dishes for all of us- our kids are so clever they can detect when there's ground sunflower seeds in the soup, chia in the flapjacks or grated veg in the tomato sauce anyway so I always end up telling them as they are eating it! A lot of times, they will ask me what I've hidden in it before they take their first bite or sip :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fruit combo in this smoothie sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary! One of the most popular smoothies on my blog is my strawberry mango one that I serve up the kids. It's their favorite after school spring-time smoothie. I make it in the winter with frozen strawberries and mango, but love making it in the spring the those big, juicy ripe strawberries and fresh mango. It tastes amazing! I tried throwing flax seed in there one time and my kids totally noticed and said to keep it out next time. Great idea on the whey protein powder. I may try throwing that in next time. I have this vanilla flavored one that I like. BTW, thanks for the lovely comment on my weekly menu post. As a food blogger or any blogger in general, you have your good days and your bad and I just felt like being honest on that one! I think we can come across as being all perfect and June Cleaver like, but in all reality, we're just mom's or women who blog about recipes we like, simple as that. You know what I'm proud of, that you are I are still blogging, as most food bloggers give up within the first 1-2 years. So congratulations British mama! Have a wonderful day and cheers to strawberry and mango smoothies :) xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum~ They are great morning, noon or night - love a good smoothie and this sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love smoothies, but don't make them as often as I should. This particular recipe is so healthy. I also love the very appealing color of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes! The perfect pick me up- the perfect breakfast and the perfect start to the day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love smoothies, this one sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So refreshing and deliciously tempting! Slurp...!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!