Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Grilled Steak with Chimichurri Sauce


I can only describe the last few weeks as a whirlwind of craziness.  SATs, moving up ceremonies, graduations, senior proms, throw in a couple of birthdays and you get the picture.  Phew.  I'm longing for a lazy day at the pool.  In the mean time some serious power food is in order.  I'm delighted to say my eighteen year old daughter, the one who is graduating, my first fledgling, is a master at the grill who loves a good steak.  A chip off the old block one might say.  Add some chimichurri sauce to the perfectly grilled steak and you have one heck of a good meal that will give you the energy to get through another day of craziness.



Grilled Strip Steaks with Chimichurri Sauce.

I can only describe the chimichurri sauce as “happy” from the name to the taste.  It takes about two minutes to make and positively bursts with flavor.  It’s equally good with grilled chicken or fish and can be made a couple of days ahead of time and kept refrigerated.

Chimichurri Sauce.


1 ½ cup parsley
½ cup of cilantro
½ cup mint
1/2 cup of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded
1 teaspoon of cumin

Zest and juice of a lime
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Strip steaks 
1 steak per person if you're feeling hungry, fat trimmed
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

To prepare the Chimichurri put all the ingredients into the processor and blitz until smooth. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate.

Heat up the grill.

To prepare the steaks, rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Depending on the thickness of the steaks and how well you like them done, sear each side for 3-6 minutes.  Remember when you remove and cover them with aluminum foil they will carry on cooking a little - so please don't overdo it! 

Let the steaks rest under the foil for at least 4-5 minutes.  Slice and drizzle over the chimichurri.   


Make sure there is plenty of extra sauce available for dipping.


28 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this sauce! It looks delicious! We love a good steak, too!

    Congratulations on all the fun celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am lusting after a hibachi, hoping to find one at a yard sale. I want to cook steaks over wood. Quite rare for me, please. Chimmichuri looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love steaks with Chimichurri sauce and yours looks positively perfect. Your photos make me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, those look perfectly delicious. I must get over my fear of fresh jalapeños, I have many recipes I want to try that use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice that your first born loves to cook, too! The steak and sauce look like summer perfection. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a delightful dinner for a crazy (but wonderful) time. I remember those days well and how there never seemed to be enough time, thank goodness for helping hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This steak looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh you are making me hungry and I just ate! Is that even possible? I mean to be this hungry so soon!!!! Love the chimichurri sauce- love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chimichurri sauce is a keeper! Here with the blessing of sun all year long it is so easy to fit in BBQ every weekend, and yours is a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great Mary! I love chimichurri sauce. One of my favourites. I love steak, but a good sauce turns a good steak into a great steak! Hope your days slow down soon! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. How have I never come across this sauce before - it has all my favourite flavours, including the chilli. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, we love steak with chimichurri sauce, on the rare occcasion when we do treat ourselves to steak, that wonderful sauce is an absoulte must at our house! Your version sounds fabulous! How nice that your eighteen year old daughter is a "master at the grill" - whishing her all the best for graduation!
    Hope you will be able to enjoy a bit of quiet times this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds really delicious!!!!!
    Congratulations to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE chimichurri... and besides steaks, it goes with just about anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary , the chimichurri sauce sounds really good ! And the steak looks sinful ! Wish I could grab some right now lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracious....Goodness! just seeing these photos has made my tummy growl. sure looks tender and full of good taste!

    hugs....
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great & sounds delicious! I love the flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm new to chimichurri sauce, but it looks so good I'll have to invent a vegan version of this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't tried chimichurri sauce yet but it looks like it compliments a nice piece of steak perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this post has literally made my mouth water. I hope you get through the crazy times!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh My great sauce for the steaks! I too have an 18 year old, and congrats on her graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your steaks look wonderful! The few times I've made chimichurri sauce, I've used only cilantro or a combination of cilantro and parsley.. I think the addition of mint would be amazing! I can't wait to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, I guess I should congratulate you for all the graduations, though you may not be so happy about everyone being so grown up! Steak and chimichurri, a perfect way to celebrate. It looks perfect Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't know why i have yet to make Chimichurri sauce--it looks wonderful. My herbs are growing--soon I will have plenty and I will make this flavorful sauce. The steak looks delicious. I need a bite right now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We love a good steak now and then but I've never tried Chimichurri sauce. I think my hubby would love the jalapenos :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never heard of Chimichurri Sauce before but judging from the photos, it tastes great! I usually have steak dinners with a couple of friends during weekends or if I don’t have the ingredients, we usually go for lunch meetings. I’ll definitely try this recipe out, thanks for sharing!

    Sam Francovich @ Grill At Quail Corners

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!