Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Glorious Week in England, a Royal Baby and Chocolate Chip Cookies!


My youngest daughter and I have just returned from the most glorious visit to England. It's always wonderful to visit my homeland or "the old country" as my lovely father-in-law used to refer to it but last week was indeed a very special week for England.  Being a royalist the birth of Prince George of Cambridge was a wonderful highlight.  I'm usually three thousand miles away in New York for most royal celebrations so I was beyond delighted to be there for this one.


We were also there for the the hottest day on record since 19----something or other and we spent the day lounging in the garden. The hottest day in England was of course a very comfortable respite from the ghastly high temps we've been enduring in New York. Most of the time we were in the country in West Sussex where I grew up and it was as enchanting as ever. We strolled in the countryside...




and enjoyed the wildflowers...



It was glorious...


When I arrived home to my kitchen in the States I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. After all what's more American than chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk - I thought it might get us into the swing of things! These cookies have a slightly different and I think superior taste, the secret being the use of black strap molasses mixed with the sugar. 

Absolutely yummy.


Chocolate Chip Cookies



6 oz unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons unsulfured blackstrap molasses
1 cup chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 F

Mix the white and brown sugars together, add the molasses and mix thoroughly.

Beat the butter really well until light and creamy.  Add the sugar mixture and beat for 
another 3-4 minutes until very light and fluffy.  

Add the egg, mix well.   Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well.

Add the chocolate chips and pulse a couple of times until combined.

Line a couple of cookie trays with parchment paper.  Scoop the batter
into 12 equal balls and place 6 on each trays.  Bake for 14-16 minutes.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove 
to a baking rack to thoroughly cool.


26 comments:

  1. what an exciting time to visit your homeland, beautiful cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Royalist, my ancestors having come over on the next boat after the Mayflower, but I am entranced by all things royal!! I couldn't be happier over the birth of bonny Prince George!! So glad you could be a part of the celebration.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look and sound wonderful. So glad you were in England to celebrate the birth of the new little Prince! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to have been there for the birth of the little prince! I imagine most of the country was feeling very festive. Glad you had a nice trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a cookie right now--they look delicious. Thanks for the tour of your countryside--beautiful. Glad you are back safely. Thanks for the new cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely countryside!I am glad you had a good time!The cookies seem irresistible!
    Happy Monday,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How glorious to be 'back home' for a visit with your youngest daughter! What fun to be there for the birth of young George, Alexander, Louis! Of course, I followed all the excitement on TV over here!
    Those chocolate chip cookies look amazing! Would blackstrap molasses be the equivalent of black treacle? Nice to see the butter measurements in ounces and not in sticks! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandra,
    I think black treacle would be a great substitute. It's such a small measurement but provides a great taste!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back! Glad you had such a wonderful time!
    And I'll take these cookies and a glass of milk anytime :) They look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems you had a brilliant time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Mary! How exciting about your trip and getting back to your homeland is always wonderful no matter what time of year- right? So glad you were there with the glorious celebration for the birth Prince George!
    And, these cookies look so delicious, I would love a batch right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary. Welcome back to the states. What an exciting time to be in back in England and what a great memory you will have. I'm glad you had some nice weather to chill out in as well. We've had a windy and cool summer where I live, but what's great is you can literally drive 5-10 minutes north and get totally different weather. It its cool and windy at my house, it will be 15 degrees warmer and sunny 5-10 minutes north. Total micro climates here.
    I love the addition of molasses to the classic cookie, especially blackstrap molasses, that is my favorite! It adds a certain punch of flavor. xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. The unsulphured blackstrap molasses had me scratching me head, but a quick search online, and it appears we can get it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cookies look delicious :-) and nothing quite beats the English countryside x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun to have been in the UK when the baby was born! That had to be so exciting. :) The countryside looks glorious. I have to get back to England someday. Your cookies wouldn't last an afternoon in our house Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun for you to be in England on such a special day! Your cookies look wonderful and I'm quite intriqued by the molasses. I know your family was thrilled to have you home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, your cookies came out looking fabulous:) So glad you were here for the Royal event and the lovely weather (which has now sadly ended in thunderstorms and flooding...)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes a week is more than just another week when things line up in the right way. So glad you enjoyed it so much Mary! Lovely cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice weather in England makes it just perfect doesn't it? Like the look of those cookies never bakes with black strap molasses. Giving this a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary, sounds like you had a wonderful time in England. How nice that you could be there for such a joyous event! Lovely cookies for celebrating the birth of the Royal Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The hottest day and a royal baby all in the same trip to the UK. How lucky can you get, glad you enjoyed the trip. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a special time to me in England, Mary! Your cookies look amazing! Who doesn't love a great chocolate chip cookie to munch on? xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a terrific idea to add molasses to the cookies. Very nice idea indeed. So happy you got to celebrate with your "homies" when the new Prince arrived! How special. Where's the baby pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am so interested in the fact that you used molasses in your cookies and not vanilla. I love that idea but never tried it before. I am kinda a cookie snob and usually don't deviate from my favorite recipe but this I have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a perfect time for you to visit England:) I'd like to try this CC cookies recipe with the molasses added. I'm sure they're yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Mary!
    I just popped in to tell you that I did this cookie recipe. They're delicious and the addition of the molasses is really a plus! I actually used Appleford's black treacle (molasses) and it worked a treat. I did make 18 cookies (instead of 12) though and scooped them out with the ice-cream scoop so they were all the same size!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!