Friday, July 19, 2013

Grilled Spicy Shrimp with White Bean Ragu


The other night my eldest daughter and I took the night off and went down to NYC for a little shopping and dinner.  After popping into Bloomingdale's (oh I LOVE that store) we went to the Crosby Street Hotel Bar for dinner (oh I LOVE that bar).  We shared a gorgeous starter - grilled spicy shrimp with a white bean, pepper ragu.  It was sensational so I've tried my best to recreate that spectacular dish.  I have to say I came close - this is my new favorite supper, it's easy and a riot of yumminess.



Grilled Spicy Shrimp with White Bean Ragu



For the shrimp marinade;

8 jumbo shrimp, cleaned
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon coriander
zest and juice of a lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil

For the ragu;

1 large onion
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon coriander
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1, 14 oz can cannellini beans
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
Fresh basil


To make the marinade whisk all the ingredients together, pour into a zip lock bag, pop the shrimp into it, seal and put in the fridge for a couple of hours.

To make the ragu, (you can do this a day in advance if you want, the flavors just get better) heat the olive oil and saute the onions on a very low flame.  Sprinkle over some sea salt to prevent them from burning, be patient and allow them to caramelize, it will take at least 10 minutes.  Add the beans, coriander, peppers and garlic and saute for a further 5-8 minutes, adding splashes of wine (or water if you prefer).  Remove from the heat.

Heat the grill (or grill pan on top of the stove) to a high heat.  Remove the shrimp from the marinade, shake off any excess liquid and place on the grill for a couple of minutes per side (don't over cook!) they should have the lovely scorched marks and be pink and juicy.

Spoon the ragu on a plate, top with the shrimp and add a sprig of fresh basil and a squeeze of lemon juice.  Serve immediately.






33 comments:

  1. Such a tasty offering , Mary ! Simple yet full of wonderful flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes white wine is always optional. What a fun date with your daughter! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds incredible, Mary, and it's a perfect summer dish! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah, I can taste the flavors now! Looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sabroso y contundente muy bueno,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and quick to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the exact same thing-try to re-create restaurant meals at home! ;) I think this will have to be the way I cook my next shrimp! Looks fabulous! CC

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my kind of meal. Love all of the ingredients and the simplicity, which turn it into something spectacular.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trying to recreate restaurant food at home is so fun! I love the sound of that ragu!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, perfect summertime appetizer - this recipe sounds fabulous and you presented it in such a pretty way - love how you placed the skewered shrimp on top of the bean ragù. Very nice! And I am quite impressed that you were able to re-create that dish so perfectly!
    Have a wonderful weekend filled with fun and many more delicious summer treats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mary! I hope it's not too hot out where you are. I hear it was in the 100's this past week, yuck! This looks fabulous and like the perfect summer lunch or dinner. I love the grilled shrimp and the caramelized onions and beans. Perfection! Great job recreating this! xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice pictures!!!
    And the recipe looks great!!
    I love shrimps!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you just love it when you can re-create a dish that you had at a restaurant. This shrimp and bean dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a tasteful dish!Kisses,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Contundente y delicioso me encantaria probar,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful day/evening in NYC. It amazes me at how easy it is for you to fix dishes like this. I really must do a better job at preparing meals. Hope my hubby never sees all these delicious dishes that you make. He would then realize how bad of a cook I am...
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shrimps are one of my favourite food and these will make such amazing starters!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! Shrimps are my absolutely favorite and this grilled spicy shrimp sounds so fab with these white beans.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. It is so nice of you to recreate the dish and come up with your own recipe. I am amazed that you made your own recipe so did you research the recipe online or you knew a similar recipe that is close to the shrimp starter that you have eaten? This recipe looks good and it is really perfect because I love eating shrimps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it when I discover a fabulous new dish and can re-create it at home. This sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love finding new dishes like this and being able to recreate them at home! It looks amazing, Mary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds Delicious Mary! I never used coriander as a spice. I have to try it with some recipes in the near future. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mary,

    Although I can't eat shrimps due to my allergy but I can tell that this is a great summer dish! The combination sounds fabulous!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love White Beans so I know I'm gonna love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. the ragu looks incredible. I love the pairing of it with the shrimp and you know I love my spicy flavors! this is incredible

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now this looks beautiful and delicious! Love shrimp and hubby loves white beans, I could make him so happy. It really is simple! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. We need more memory making days I think!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks amazing! Shrimps are the favourites in my house! It is so wonderful that you are able to re-create the dish that you've enjoyed! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just made a different spicy shrimp dish that I'm sharing in one of my future posts :) I love how you've paired the shrimp with white beans!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very tasted! I have to prepare it! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love shrimp and white beans and often make a salad with them in the summer. This looks great for fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!