Friday, August 30, 2013

Apple, Orange and Cinnamon Bundt Cake.


What welcomes autumn more than an apple cake - the change of seasons is always exciting in the culinary world don't you think? Fall is one of our favorites. This year I noticed apples on our trees earlier than ever - here they are...


We usually share them with the birds but I thought I ought to jump in quickly and make an apple cake just in case the birds didn't want to share with us...


The addition of orange juice, zest and of course a healthy pinch of cinnamon really does get you in the mood for all the squashes, mushrooms and apply delights of the season. If you don't have a greedy family (unlike me) this cake will keep well in an airtight container for a few days.







Apple, Orange and Cinnamon Bundt Cake.

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups sugar
Zest of 2 oranges
4 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced, tossed in 2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar (optional)

For the syrup;

¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup sugar

Heat the oven to 350F

Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest together in the bowl of an electric mixer until very light and creamy.

Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.  Beat until well incorporated.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl.

Mix together the buttermilk and vanilla extract together in a measuring jug.

Add half the flour mixture into the creamed butter, sugar and egg mixture and beat very gently to combine.  Add the buttermilk then finish off with the remaining flour mixture.  Combine gently. 

Stir in the sliced apples tossed in the flour.  Pour the batter into a prepared bundt cake mold, place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for approximately 50-60 minutes or until risen and golden.

To make the syrup;

While the cake is baking make the syrup. Combine the sugar and juice together in a small pan, heat until simmering, stir well until the sugar has dissolved.  Set aside.


Allow the cake to cool in the mold for 10 minutes, then unmold and allow the cake to cool on a baking rack.  Place a large plate until the cake then spoon the syrup over the cake allowing it to absorb into the sponge.  When the cake is thoroughly cooled dust with confectioner’s sugar if desired.


21 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to know what a Bundt cake was! Is it the shape of the tin? I like anything with apples in, so this is a perfect late summer cake when the new apples are available!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Mary this cake looks wonderful! I'm printing the recipe now. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the little taste of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fantastic! I am so ready for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm making this cake, it simply looks yummy, yummy, yummy!!!
    Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,
    Apple trees in your garden! How I envy you!
    The apples are gorgeous and your cake looks wonderful! Wow, homegrown apples in homemade dessert! Couldn't get any better than that!
    Envy, envy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful autumn afternoon coffee cake, Mary. Apple and cinnamon are simply great together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cakes sounds so good and so perfect for this time of year. I want to taste it!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had to say that I loved the way your recipe was written, American measurements for the ingredients, then cream the butter and sugar which just sounds so English. I always feel as though I speak three versions of English, so nice to see that others do this too! Great looking cake by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake looks so delicious! I like the combination of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good afternoon Mary.....if we were close enough, I'd come right on over for a nice slice of this cake and a cup of hot tea!! I'm guessing your home is still filled with wonderful Fall aromas! This looks D-lish!!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such an extraordinary bakeresse/chef:)
    Love al these new recipes~

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks wonderful....pinned it to my cake board!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this cake look delicious I love apples cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely cake, Mary, AND gorgeous apple photos as well! What variety of apple is that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. cake is definitely a winner,just look how beautifully tender crumbed,spongy it is....we will love to bake this recipe soon,thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love apple cake and this one looks fantastic! I would love to be enjoying a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Orange, apple and cinnamon. Fantastice, Mary. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whew! I'm back! I had to leave for a moment so I could pin your heavenly looking cake to my Bundt Cake board, lol...

    I'm slowly getting use to the idea that Fall is just around the corner. The apple trees are showing signs of readiness and I guess I am too. I love the hint of orange in this cake, Mary. I'm sure it brings the taste to the next level of deliciousness!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. this cake of yours has a GLORIOUS texture, and the flavors involved are some of my favorites. this is a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok Mary, we can tell this is a winner! This is one cake I will have to make this week! Do you think I can serve this for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!