Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fusilli with Sausage, Broccoli and Tomatoes.


This is a nice hearty pasta supper which you can overhaul to give it a healthy spin. Try using chicken or turkey sausage instead of pork, Barilla “Plus” pasta packs a healthier fiber punch (and still tastes delicious) rather than regular white.  Don’t be constrained in your choice of vegetables, experiment with green beans, asparagus spears, red and yellow peppers - include whatever vegetables you think your family would appreciate.  Adding a couple of fresh rosemary sprigs to the pan while sauteing the sausage adds a delicious infusion of flavor. 




Fusilli with Sausage, Broccoli and Tomatoes.

1 box Barilla Plus Fusilli
A couple of splashes of olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 packet of chicken or turkey sausage (casings removed and meat broken into chunks)
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
A pinch of red pepper flakes
½ cup white wine
1 head organic broccoli (steams chopped and florets separated into similar size)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
A splash of heavy cream (optional)
A generous handful of fresh herbs (basil or oregano would be perfect)

Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the packet directions.
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and saute the onions on a medium heat for approximately 8-10 minutes until they are just turning golden.  Sprinkle some salt over the onions while they’re cooking which will help prevent them from burning. 

Heat another pan with a few inches of water to the boil and cook the broccoli until bright green and tender but still with a slight crunch to it.  Drain and set aside.

Add the garlic to the onions and cook for a further 2 minutes.  Remove the onions and garlic to a bowl and cover.  Add the sausage meat to the pan and saute until golden, sprinkle over a pinch of red pepper flakes. 

Add a splash of white wine and let it bubble furiously.  Cook for a minute or two to burn off the alcohol.

Meanwhile drain the cooked pasta, add it to the saute pan with the sausage, add the cooked broccoli and the onions and garlic.  Add the halved cherry tomatoes and let them warm through in the hot pasta.


Add a splash of cream if using, sprinkle over plenty of Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.  Toss well, check the seasoning and serve straight from the pan.



27 comments:

  1. What a terrific pasta dish, Mary! I love the addition of sausage and a splash of cream...so yummy! Hope you're enjoying the long, holiday weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish looks so fresh! It has lots of flavor going in there. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sort of dish that is fun to prepare and gorgeous to eat. I love dishes where everything, including the vegetables, is included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious. I love dishes like this. You can never go wrong with sausage and pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious looking pasta dish Mary. I wonder if I could get Todd to enjoy this! (He hates pasta!) This looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, looks like a perfect family meal with lots of healthy and deliious vegetables - my kids love these kinds of recipes as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully presented Mary. I tend to shy away from pasta dishes because so many aren't healthy. Thank you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the type of pasta I eat on a permanent basis. Fusilli is my favorite shape by far! Looks amazing Mary! But then sausage is always amazing...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks so delicious! Love everything on the plate, from the sausages to the veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pasta is so simple and so tasty! The perfect weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary! I'm noticing that we like the same types of food. I would put both our recipes in the healthy family style category. It's real, whole food family cooking. We love pasta with sausage and fresh veggies as well. We call meals like this one-bowl pastas because you have your meat, carb and veggies all in one, perfect for those crazy weeknights. :) xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like such an impressive, delicious meal…and yet so simple! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe brings back sweet memories of when I was a child. My parents used to cook me similar pasta dishes and they were my favorite after I came home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a heart warming pasta dish, dear Mary. It looks exceptionally pretty on the beautiful plate. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Se ve muy rico y colorido tomates y albahaca es lo máximo,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the flavors and textures in this pasta dish. It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, you always have something delicious, I'd love to be your neighbor/friend/child. Do you need any of the above? This looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris you are so sweet - I'd LOVE to have you over for dinner anytime!
      Mary x

      Delete
  18. I adore sausage in pasta - this looks just like the kind of thing I want to curl up on the couch with at dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love dishes like this one! Especially with fresh summer tomatoes :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  20. italian sausage just makes everything better doesn't it? I love this pasta- light and healthy and yet so flavorfuL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this recipe Mary! Delicious! This week I hope to get my sausage dish posted too! But sausage and pasta is always a favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am in love with this pasta dish and all of the goodness you put inside of it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!