Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Chocolate Cupcakes and Getting Ready for Halloween


Have you noticed the problem with Halloween food? I’m all for getting into the spirit of things but please don’t ask me to eat anything that is made to look like blood, guts or brains, it really doesn’t do much for the appetite.  How about some real food with a slightly spooky autumnal twist, presented in an appetizing manner and full of delicious ingredients. This way that you can still wear your hideous monster outfit but you don’t have to force down some hideous concoction to match.  Try satisfying your devilishly sweet tooth with a triple, yes triple chocolate cupcake.




Triple Chocolate Cupcakes .


As the title suggests, these cupcakes are of the intense chocolate variety.  Triple by way of the melted chocolate and cocoa powder in the sponge, then drenched in a delectable chocolate ganache for good measure.  Forget the candy – go for a triple chocolate cupcake instead.

For the cupcakes.

1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup of soft brown sugar
½ cup of white sugar
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sour cream
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s)
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

For the ganache.

1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 chocolate chips


Heat the oven to 350F

Line two cupcake trays with paper liners.

Cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy.

Heat the chocolate chips in a medium bowl in the microwave very gently so that they don’t burn.  Stir until smooth.

Add the chocolate to the butter mixture and beat.  Add the eggs one by one, scraping down the bowl after each addition.

Measure the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda and salt in one bowl.  Measure the buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract together in another.

Add half the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir to combine, slowly add the wet ingredients and finish off with the rest of the dry.  Stir gently to combine but don’t over mix.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared cupcake trays and place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until just risen.  Don’t over bake!

Remove from oven and allow to cool in the trays for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes to a cooling rack to thoroughly cool.

While the cupcakes are cooling make the ganache.  Measure out the chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl. Heat the cream until simmering then simply pour the cream over the chocolate chips.  Stir well until the chocolate has melted and you are left with a glorious glossy chocolate sauce.

To glaze the cupcakes, hold upside down and tip the tops into the ganache.  Serve immediately with lots of napkins or wait until the ganache has set.


33 comments:

  1. this is perfect Halloween food, I'm with you, no blood and yuk for me! That fake gore is not appetizing at all,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I would pick these cupcakes over candy any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you about the Halloween foods! These cupcakes look very festive and appetizing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cupcakes are boo-tiful, Mary! I'd gobble up one or two!! I agree about gory food, I couldn't eat it. (I may have hit upon a new diet strategy, though). xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite icing is chocolate ganache (is it actually considered an icing?) Well, I love it anyway and I think your cupcakes are definitely Halloween-worthy, without including any blood or guts! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cakes! I would gladly say RIP to my waistline :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing with ganache could ever be scary! These look wonderful Mary. I do love love love ganache......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! I had some decorations to use in a post for Halloween, took the picture, then realized...sticking out of the food was a skull and crossbones. Not exactly tempting.
    Yummy looking cupcakes, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you - forget the candy - triple chocolate cupcakes it is! Yours look divine :) Or, rather, maybe devilish? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are absolutely perfect for Halloween!! And I agree, I've never been one to think something that looked like a brain was very appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charming:) And the ganache drips?:)
    I don't know why..but I am finding halloween more and more macabre..Even the $ store aisles are filled with it!
    Says she who is baking cupcakes w/ skeleton picks with Oli today..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Festive,beautiful and I bet delicious!
    Kisses,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm, so chocolatey! These look so decadent and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary! These look amazing and I love anything chocolate. I especially love that ganache that is overflowing down the sides. I'm with you, I would rather have a home baked good over candy any day and my kids feel the same. The day after Halloween they trade in their candy and I always have one of their favorite desserts on hand. It's a win win. We do keep the small bags of m&m's, and peanut butter cups for family movie nights or to take to the movies. :) xoxo, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cupcakes are too cute, I love that you are in the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tell me again what a stick of butter is??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia - a stick of butter is 4 oz
      Mary x

      Delete
  17. Mmm - I totally agree with you about food that's made to look 'gory' - i'd much rather eat a chocolate cupcake (or 3)...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you Mary. Dare I say Halloween is not one of my favorite days as it is but when you include all that scary looking "food" it really frightens me! Your cupcakes are jazzed up just enough for me:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are adorable Mary. Kids of all ages will gobble up these.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely adorable! This is the way I enjoy Halloween treats too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you! I'd much rather eat cute food, especially if it's this full of chocolate! These cupcakes look yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mary,

    You are fast getting ready for Halloween. I have not do anything yet :p

    Your chocolate cupcakes look delicious. Quick! Eat them before the marshmallow ghosts attack them :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Mary, these cupcakes are so cute...you sure are ready for Halloween :D
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekD

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm definitely going to make these. The ganache looks perfect and I like the idea of a simple Boo as decoration - nothing too fiddly! Thanks for another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm with you. I like Halloween themed food so long as it's not repulsive. We eat with our eyes, to some extent, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cupcakes are looking good! Love your Halloween theme decorations!
    Halloween is round the corner already? My, how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm with you, dear Mary, on your choice for Halloween treats. These cupcakes will surely please me. Thanks for sharing some yummy cupcakes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. good morning Mary.......Ooooo, these look great..... too cute to eat though.
    Hope your day is full of happiness
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mary you are so right !! I WILL skip the candy and go for the cupcake instead!!! SO GOOD!! I can eat 3 right now! Darling photos too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!