Saturday, November 16, 2013

Lasagna - the best I've ever eaten - I promise.


This was the best lasagna - I promise. Yes it was scrumptious, utterly satisfying and warmed us through on a cold night but honestly it was the easiest lasagna I've ever put together.  I used to go the old fashioned bechamel sauce route. Never again, mixing up a tub of ricotta with a couple of eggs is soooo much easier and lighter and ten times more delicious. And yes I did cheat with oven ready lasagna noodles and Rao's tomato sauce in a jar. And yes, I did eat the leftovers cold standing in front of the fridge with the door open the next morning, it's that good. Try it, you'll see.



Lasagna.

1 packet, oven ready lasagna noodles

A couple of tablespoons of olive oil
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2, 14oz jars of homemade or your favorite store bought tomato sauce
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
14 oz tub of ricotta cheese
1, 4 oz ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, roughly grated
2 eggs
handful of fresh parsley or basil, chopped


Heat the oven to 375F

Pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in to a large sauté pan, add the chopped onion, sprinkle with salt and sauté on a medium low flame for 10-12 minutes or until transculent and just turning golden.  Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.

Add the beef, break up with a wooden spoon and brown.  Pour off the excess fat.  Add the jars of tomato sauce. Stir well, bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer for about 10 minutes.

While the beef is cooking, mix together the ricotta, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs and the 2 beaten eggs.

Place a layer of noodles in your lasagna pan, spread over a layer of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle a little of the grated mozzarella, then spoon over a generous amount of the meat sauce. Repeat. End with a layer of meat sauce and sprinkle over the leftover 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese over the top.

Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil, place the pan on a baking sheet and put into the oven for approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour, remove the foil after 30 minutes to allow the top to turn golden and bubbling. 

Remove from the oven and allow to rest and "set up" for about 10 minutes - if possible - it's hard because of all that bubbling cheesiness. Serve with extra Parmesan for good measure.


25 comments:

  1. my favorite meal of all time, I will give your recipe try! It does sound almost exactly like mine, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lasagna is certainly a favorite around here. However, my Sam will not eat the frozen kind that you pick up at the grocery store. He wants he homemade. I must say, the photos of this dish make my mouth water...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    Efectivily, I'm completely sure that it´s the best lasagna you have never eaten! It sounds delicious! I will do it very soon. Thanks for sharing with us such a wonderful lasagna!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Mary!!! I do hope you will be sharing some of London with us:)

    As for that Lasagna, (yes it deserves a capital letter:) it sure looks good! I love that you used jar sauce. I've eaten many a cold lasagna in front of the fridge in my day, lol...I do believe it makes it taste better.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Mary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, Sounds delicious…lasagna is always one of my “go to” dishes, when hosting a big event. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always game to try "best" recipes! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Back!

    I believe you. Every word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a lovely version with ricotta instead of bechamel sauce! I make my lasagne vegetarian, but I will do all the other ingredients as you mention them here and let you know how it goes!
    How was England? Did you get a little twinge of homesickness when you returned? I always do because the people are so friendly!
    Nice to see you back and I'm looking forward to seeing your British autumn dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a glutton. I use both bechamel and the ricotta. Looks great as always! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a spinach lasagna yesterday:) I have been willing to make meat lasagna for a long time and you reminded me about this dish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whenever I make lasagne with a cheese sauce, it ends up very liquid, and spreads out all over the plate. I can see how the ricotta cheese approach would make it more solid. You could cut it into squares more easily.

    Yours looks delicious.

    I still spell it the British way, though. Lasagne!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Traditional meat and cheese lasagna is still one of my favorites. It looks amazing Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear it's easy to make Mary. The one and only time I made lasagna it took hours and I was exhausted and said never again. And it's been never until now I see yours.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum yum!!! I just love lasagna, it's not healthy eating, though. Sometimes, It's just have o be cooked:):):) Amazing reciepe, I'm saving it up! Thank's for the tips:)
    Lovely snapshots as well! Just started to follow you with GFC, hope you can follow me back;)
    Have a fabulous time!

    www.svetusvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Mary, if you say so...I'll try it. Really looks good and I like the lightness of the ricotta mixture. Why is it that lasagna always tastes better the next day, cold?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had a number of lasagna-making meltdowns! This certainly looks delicious and easy.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. WEll thank you:)

    I always love the best of something!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back Mary, hope that you had a good visit over here to blighty! Looking forward to hearing all about it. Your lasagna looks great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your lasagna looks delicious; lovely photos! Hope you had a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary,
    Your lasagne looks and sounds incredible. There is just something about all of the those yummy layers of meat, cheese, and sauce, that make it so special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, this looks delicious, and a very easy recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like & delicious, Mary. I love lasagne, but sometimes it can be just too packed & heavy. Yours looks perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. The lasagna looks delicious, your recipe is very similar to mine. I printed your recipe, thank you. All that is needed with lasagna is good bread, olive oil and nice glass of wine by candlelight.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mary! Just to let you know that I made your lasgane today for lunch and it was absolutely delicious. I just replaced the meat with a mixture of aubergine, courgettes and a couple of carrots precooked gently in a pan with a little olive oil and 1 chopped shallot! Otherwise every was the same as your recipe! It's just a vegetarian version! Thank you for the idea of the ricotta with Parmesan and egg. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!