Sunday, December 29, 2013

Risotto


January was supposed to be the month of the risotto, but I just couldn't wait.  I've been dreaming about the actual cooking process of risotto for a few nights now, even how it would smell.  Do you ever dream of recipes? I do all the time. I'm happy to report this did not end up a nightmare, it was delicious.  I used 1 packet of dried chanterelles but I think next time I'll double that or maybe use a mixture of chanterelle and porcini.  Also watch out for the amount of salt you add,  you need very little as I find most chicken stocks are fairly salty plus there's a nice amount of parmesan cheese in this recipe. This didn't stick around for long, I found my husband standing over the stove eating it out of the pan, the little that was leftover was devoured by my twelve year old and her friend.

Mushroom and Pea Risotto.

A couple of tablespoons of olive oil
2 shallots, finely diced
2 small leeks, cleaned and diced, white parts only
Fresh parsley
1-2 packets of dried mushrooms (1oz total)
1/2-1 cup of dry white wine
zest and squeeze of a lemon
3-4 cups good quality chicken stock
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
3/4 - 1 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
1 1/2 cups of frozen peas

Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour enough hot water over to cover them.  Place a plate on top of the bowl and allow them to sit undisturbed for at least 20 minutes or until they have hydrated and look something like this.



Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently saute the shallots and leeks until they are just turning golden.


Strain the mushrooms through a sieve lined with cheesecloth, reserve the liquid to use with the chicken stock.  Heat the stock and mushroom liquid in a measuring jug in the microwave until hot.


Add the mushrooms and a good handful of chopped parsley to the shallot/leek mixture.  Add the white wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated.


Add the rice, mix very well, add the hot stock a ladle at a time until each addition is absorbed into the rice.  When finished the rice should have lost its chalkiness and should be creamy with a slight bite, taste as you go.


You may only need 3 1/2 cups of stock but add a little more if it's not quite creamy enough.  Add the peas when the rice is ready, they will cook in the heat of the pan.  Add the parmesan and a couple of tablespoons of unsalted butter if desired.  Stir well, add a little extra fresh parsley and serve.


26 comments:

  1. Your risotto looks marvelous and I love the green of the peas. I got a kick out of your story about your husband. I can just see my husband as well, standing over the pan helping himself :)

    Happy New Year Mary.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats my husband as well! What a delicious dish, my favorite restaurant meal, I have never made myself though,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream of recipes all the time Mary. It's a good thing I keep a notebook by the bed because who knows what tasty tidbits I may have lost, lol...I love Risotto, Mary. Your Risotto looks luscious. It would go perfectly with the recipe I just posted for Chicken Rudyard Kipling! Thank you so much for sharing, Mary. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the month of January was proclaimed Risotto Month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mushroom risotto, but I never thought of adding peas, I will have to give it a try. I love love love risotto, so a month of risotto has to be a winner with me! Looking forward to January! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Risotto perfection, Mary! Hope you had a terrific Christmas and wishing you a joyous 2014! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've made it a couple of times! I think it's about time to make it again...yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mary, this risotto recipe makes my mouth water! Yum!! I've already pinned this to my recipe board. I do love risotto, but have never taken the plunge to make it myself. This looks right up my alley since I've never met a mushroom I didn't like. :)

    Thanks for sharing; have a wonderful week and a Happy New Year!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's early in the morning, but these photos made my taste buds come to life.... This is a keeper and I can't wait to fix it for my family...
    Wishing you the BEST for a Happy and Blessed New Year..

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are such big fans of risotto my husband and I..yours looks perfect:)
    Happy New Year to you and yours..~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, chanterelles! With risotto there's always a ton of possibilities, yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! My hubby would love this risotto of yours, Mary. Got to make it for him this week.
    Hope you had a very happy Christmas. Wishing you all the best for 2014. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. A warming and delicious risotto! My favourite rice dish!
    I hope you've had a lovely Christmas period, Mary! Thank you for all your lovely recipes throughout the year and Happy New Year!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such delicious looking risotto!
    Happy New Year to you and your family!
    Wish you all things wonderful in the year 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great risotto dish - I can see why you couldn't wait. Love the mixture of mushrooms, peas and leeks in this. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks and sounds wonderful, Mary!!! And yes, I dream of recipes quite often....those are the best dreams!!

    Happy new year to your and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your risotto looks mouth watering! A perfect dish to enjoy during the cold spell we’re having!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year Mary! Hope your holidays were wonderful, fun and tasty :) I've had risotto on my bucket list for a long, long time - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Mary! We love risotto and would eat it every week if we could. THis recipe happens to be our favorite!! Stay warm!! Happy New Year !! All the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have used amazing ingredients,so I bet this risotto is a winner!
    Happy new year,dear!
    Kisses from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your risotto looks amazing, Mary.
    Happy NewYear to you and everyone at home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it has been a while since I have done risotto! I never think about it honestly but boy yours looks fantastic and what a great recipe to start off the new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!