Saturday, December 7, 2013

Tiramisu



This is my New Year's Eve standby dessert but don't feel you have to wait until then.  I do love it, so creamy and delicious with all those wonderful flavors of coffee and chocolate.  By the way, what is your all time favorite food combination? I think my may be coffee and chocolate, followed by blueberries and lemon curd, but that's just me - what about you? Back to the tiramisu, you could make it in a huge dish for everyone to tuck in or in a more sophisticated fashion in individual glasses topped with a pretty cookie. Whichever way it's bound to please.





Tiramisu.



1 egg
6 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1 cup of sugar plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 packets of ladyfinger biscuits
3, 8 oz tubs mascarpone cheese
2 oz best quality dark chocolate
Cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
Confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup Kahlua
1 1/4 cups espresso 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Dark chocolate for decoration

Place the egg, egg yolks and sugar in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Whisk until the mixture is pale and thick and has doubled in size, about 8-10 minutes.  

Remove mixture from the bowl, place in a bowl of an electric mixer, beat until cool.  

Add the mascarpone and blend until very smooth - a minute or so.

In another bowl whisk the egg whites with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until they form medium peaks.

Fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture.

In a shallow dish combine the Kahlua, espresso and vanilla.  Moisten the ladyfingers, one by one and place into the bottom of a serving dish, top with a layer of the mascarpone mixture, dust with cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar and a grating of chocolate.  Repeat with more layers of ladyfingers and mascarpone filling, ending with the filling. Liberally dust the top with more cocoa, confectioner's sugar and grated chocolate.

Place in the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight if possible.  




24 comments:

  1. oh, look yummy and just beautiful! I'd love to taste that dessert:0 Thank You for sharing such a lovely post!
    Wish you a blessed day ahead!

    www.svetusvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tiramisú Mary and this look georgeous!!xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!
    Thanks to Dr. Who my daughter's current favourite food combination is Fish Fingers and custard. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful- elegant for the holidays or when you want to prepare something special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiramisu is a dessert I love to make (and eat!) and the addition of Kahlua sounds delicious. I usually add a dash of Amaretto di Saronno but I must try your version.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never eaten Tiramisu, I really must give it a try one of these days! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! i'm seeing this so early in the morning and I am craving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite Italian dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coffee and chocolate - I'll second that motion. Your Tiramisu looks divine Mary.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiramisu is my hubby's favorite! I'll totally need to try this for him. Your recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love Tiramisu and it's been ages since I had some. I'm suddenly hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tiramisu is always such a hit. It is the dessert that does no wrong. This looks like a very, very good tiramisu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extra pounds on me just now. This looks super tasty!! Just looking at something tasty makes me gain weight...
    hugs to ya..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tiramisu must be perhaps the most loved dessert in the world! The tiramisu looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts!It looks mouthwatering!
    Have a lovely week,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how did you know that this was my most favourite dessert. I just love tiramisu, but have never had home made one, nobody else in my household likes it. If I made one I'd have to eat it all myself and that would never do, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Kahlua, Mary. What a luxurious addition! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum, this looks very special occasion worthy Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, Tiramisù is always such a crowd pleser and it has such an elegance when served in pretty glass stemware!
    Wonderful recipe and presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum Mary - we do love a good tiramisu and yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mary! This happens to be our favorite dessert! It's so luscious and even dangerous ( in my opinion) for us simply because we can literally eat the entire batch and leave not a single one nor a drop for anyone else which is why we try not to make tiramisu too often. Just looking at it puts weight on us...thanks for great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Una verdadera delicia su tiramisù se ve muy elegante en copas,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh what a great recipe! Will definitely give it a try one of the weekends to come!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!