Thursday, January 9, 2014

Red Lentil Soup


My plan for January was to hunker down with Martha Stewart's cake bible and bake. I reasoned that swaddled in huge thick sweaters to keep warm in this ghastly climate a few pounds wouldn't be noticeable.  Then a funny thing happened, out of the blue I developed a craving for vegetables in a rather major way. When my family ask the inevitable "What's for dinner?" question, my reply is "vegetables." It hasn't gone down particularly well with all of them.  I had to cave in last night and cook steak but only a small one with a mountain of vegetables on the side.

Although this is a lentil soup it's packed with veggies.  I have to confess that this is the first time I've made soup with water as its base instead of stock. I'm amazed - there's simply no need for stock - at least with this soup.  All the wonderful spices and yes - vegetables provide the most delicious flavor. The juice of a lime and fresh cilantro at the end seals the deal.





Red Lentil Soup.

This makes a lot of soup, so either fill up your freezer or half the recipe!


Olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and diced
Salt and pepper
2 sticks of celery, diced
1 large sweet potato
4 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 lb red lentils
1, 28 oz can of tomatoes
2 litres of water
Juice of a lime
Fresh cilantro
Plain Greek yogurt

In a large pot heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onions, sprinkle with salt and gently saute for about 5 minutes.

Add the celery, sweet potato and garlic.


Add the spices and stir well, the aroma will be heavenly.


Add the red lentils.  Aren't they beautiful! such a shame when they're cooked they turn yellow - why is that?


Add the tomatoes and water, bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer, partially cover.  Cook until the lentils are soft and the sweet potato is cooked through.

Add the juice of lime.

Puree with an immersion blender or in batches with a regular blender.  Add hot water to thin if necessary.

To serve add a swirl of yogurt and some fresh cilantro.


20 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! Your soup sounds wonderful! Our mom very rarely made her soups with stock unless it was chicken soup, so we know soups can be made without them. But, we like to add stock for more flavor at times. Adding lime and cilantro sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup sounds fantastic Mary. As much as I love lentils, I don't believe I've ever tasted the red ones. Humm, that is about to change.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this soup is gorgeous! I love lentils in all their glory - green, brown, red, yellow.... have you heard of the French lentil "Le Puy?" They are so great. I am printing your soup recipe to make this weekend. Thanks for the great recipe idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lentils and this soup look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soups sounds yummy. Your picture are wonderful, they make me wish I had a bowl of this soup right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see you posting again, Mary!
    I'm a big lentil and vegetable fan, so this is definitely a recipe for me! I love the sound of the spices too! I think masses of vegetables are perfect in January after all that rich food over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love soup, especially home made, this looks delicious!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to have a lot of anything with lentils in it! This soup is wonderful to freeze. And I bought some red lentils a while ago, that are just waiting in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore red lentils!Love this soup!Great pics!
    Kisses,dear Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This soup looks so comforting and delicious!!! You can serve me only veggies any time when it's in this form :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the kind of soup I would enjoy daily..creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great soup for my Daniel Fast. Just think of all of the Healthiness in this one bowl of soup. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the addition of sweet potato in this version of red lentil soup! Delicious, warm goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color of your soup, so pretty Mary and it sounds just amazing with all the delicious veggies and spices.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There really is nothing like a good veggie soup at this time of year... easy to digest yet very satisfying, comforting and nutritious. Your soup looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh boy does this soup look and sound wonderful! The color is so rich and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad i didn't miss this one. such great flavor and I love curry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds so good. I've been making a red lentil soup with carrots but I feel like it's missing something. I may try this one instead because it seems to be packed with delicious veggies and spices.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This blog is amazing, I'm a new follower ;) I'm Italian and I have a blog too, if you want to have a look! (http://basilntomato.blogspot.it). Anyway, I really love soups and a def have to try this one ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in, I'd love to hear from you so do leave a comment!